chapter 3

The following Sunday, Albrech-Malfoy weekly dinner went as per usual.

Byron, Cadena, and Viola Albrech arrived at Malfoy Manner at precisely 6 o'clock via the Floo Network.

The itinerary had been the same for many, many years: the six of them ate dinner (served by the Malfoy's house-elves of course), the four parents indulged in multiple glasses of wine, then once the meal was finished, Draco and Viola were sent away to allow Narcissa and Cadena to gossip, and Lucius and Byron to bicker.

Viola sat on the floor of Draco's bedroom, yanking her heels off of her feet and plopping them onto the floor beside her while Draco watched, a look of annoyance plastered to his face.

"Do you think you'll do it?" she blurted suddenly, unsure if Draco would even know what exactly she was speaking of. 

"Do what," he snapped, unbuttoning the top two buttons of his black dress shirt with his back to her.

"Do you think you'll kill Dumbledore?" Viola asked, knowing that she would be pressing his nerves.

Draco hesitated before answering.

Everyone in the Dark Lord's inner circle knew of the task which he demanded of Draco. At first, Viola was completely taken aback. She was angry at the thought of someone she'd known her entire life murdering their school's headmaster at the age of sixteen. However, the more she thought of it, the more empathy she had for Draco. She couldn't even fathom the amount of pressure he must be under. Although her and Draco hadn't gotten along in quite some time, she still at least somewhat cared for him.

She then realized perhaps that was the reason why Draco had kept her secrets all those years, that was why he prevented her from getting in trouble for being in the DA. Draco cared for her in some capacity, just as she cared for Draco. Just as she felt the need to help protect him, he felt the need to protect her. Despite having a dislike for one another, they couldn't deny the certain bond that was simply unavoidable for two people who had spent as much time together throughout their lives as them.

"Of course I will," Draco finally stated, but Viola could sense the unsureness in his voice.

"Look," she stood up, taking a step toward Draco. "I know we don't get on, but the truth is the only way we're going to get through this is together. And for some reason you've had my back throughout all these years, hiding my secrets from your father and the Dark Lord, so... so now it's time for me to return the favor."

Draco turned to face her.

"What... I'm not sure what you're getting at," he puzzled.

"I'm getting at... I'm going to help you. I'm going to help you kill Dumbledore," she told him confidently.

He raised his eyebrows at her in utter shock.

Viola herself was surprised at her willingness to help him murder the Hogwarts headmaster, but she couldn't banish the feeling burning in the pit of her stomach that she needed to help him. 

"Wha- No." He stared at her with firm eyes, "I... I won't let you do that. I don't even want to kill him, why would you, Gryffindor Princess, want to help me?" His silver eyes were wild, flickering in the dim light of the bedroom.

"You've helped me this whole time, Draco... And besides, we both know that you have to kill him. If you don't—" Viola paused, not wanting to finish her sentence. Her words were caught in her throat, unable to even fathom Draco's potential fate if he were to fail the Dark Lord.

"I know. If I don't, he'll kill me." Draco's gaze fell to the floor.

He's scared.

"Hey," she said comfortingly, placing her hands on his shoulders. "I'll help you, don't worry."