1. AN OLD TALE

(I wrote this for a contest a while back, before the pandemic, I think, so it's not aMazIng lol

This isn't the original one I wrote. After submitting it, one of the judges gave me feedback  — which they did for everyone and was really nice of them — so this is the REVISED version.  The end was not what I originally had planned, but I still like it all the same. Hope you enjoy!)

****

An Old Tale

By: Sunny

Child, listen carefully, for this will not be told again: Once upon a time, there was a magical forest. This forest was very lush with ancient winding trees, vibrant flowers, and air that was so clear and sweet it could settle any angry soul. In that magical forest there lived many creatures that were just as magical.

Oftentimes if you were to walk through this magical forest, you may have glimpsed a few woodland elves dancing through fields and trees. If you were lucky they might sing a song. Sometimes if you stopped by the rivers or streams you hear the sorrowful cries of a mermaid. There were places where the sun turned the green leaves to glass. If you sit there and stay as still as a stone, fairies might fly past you and shower you with their magical dust.

But, beware. For there are monsters and evils that lurk in the shadows. Be careful when you see a cave, for ogres might be hiding in them. When you climb a mountain, be wary for a dragon may swoop down from its nest to gobble you up. Do not trust the trees, for they are old and mischievous. They may point you in a direction that only leads you astray. If you stumble across a sleeping giant, do not wake it. Finally, do not speak to the witches. They have many spells and potions that can curse you if you wrong them. Many heroes and travellers have sought out this forest to adventure or to find their peace. Whomever shall enter this magical forest, here is their warning: Seek out light, and in the end, you shall only find light. Seek out darkness, and in the end, you shall only find darkness.

A long time ago, there was an ordinary kingdom. In this kingdom there lived a boy who was in a very wealthy family. The king was even good friends with his father, and they were often invited to the castle for dinner. When they would go, the boy found out that it was quite easy to get in the castle since no one had ever dared to break into it. The guards had grown lazy, and you could sneak past them if you did it right.

The boy grew up privileged but sheltered from the rest of the world. He was taught not to seek danger, and not to go out and risk his neck on some quest. Above all else, he was taught never to speak of magic or fairy tales. Because fairy tales were a bunch of nonsense and magic wasn't real.

Unbeknownst to all, his entire life the boy only longed for adventure. Under his bed, he hid tales of fairies and elves. Every night, he sneaked out to the village to listen to stories of heroes fighting dragons and ogres. One of the first stories he had ever heard was about a forest; the forest that grew next to the kingdom. An old man had been sitting on a log, children gathered around him. The boy had been at the back of the group. The old man began to tell of how the forest was a dark place, full of monsters and witches. But, at the end of the story, the old man leaned forward and whispered. He said that beyond the darkness, there were good things too. Beautiful and magical things. Pixies and elves. Dwarves and mermaids.

Most of the children scoffed. It was more believable that monsters lived in the forest than fairies and mermaids.

When the boy had heard this, his heart had started pounding in his chest. What if he could find what was beyond the forest? What if he could find this light among the darkness?

He began to dream of exploring the forest that grew next to the kingdom. He was told over and over that it was a dangerous place— only full of vicious wolves and bears that would hurt anyone that dared to enter. But, the boy never stopped believing that the forest was a place of magic and wonder.