chapter | 6

Dream was inadequately prepared to hike to say the least.

Sure, everyone had agreed to hike to the top of a nearby path that was roughly six miles, but Dream wasn't cut out for this life. He just hoped this 'flat rock' they were going to was worth it. He heavily doubted it.

"George," he gasped, tripping over the umpteenth branch. "If I die, tell Sapnap he stinks."

"You tell him, loser." The brit stuck out his tongue and waved an L shaped hand at him, before darting back up the path where Bad, Skeppy, Wilbur, and Sapnap were waiting.

It gave Dream quality time to survey the forest. The leaves were dancing with the dappled browns and vivid greens of summer, the occasional leaf twirling on the breeze to rest on the earth. Pine trees spotted the forest floor occasionally, accompanied by their fallen pine cones.

A rustling distracted him that wasn't the wind, and he glanced downhill towards a small, trickling stream. Alongside the bank, a very small tree seemed to be sprouting- maybe an apple tree of sorts. It was too young to positively tell.

Behind the stream on the opposite side was a lone deer, it's wide black eyes staring straight at Clay. He leaned down slowly, sitting on the dirt path as to avoid startling the deer.

It dipped its elegant muzzle into the water, stray droplets clinging to its button nose and coarse fine hairs. Due to the lack of horns she possessed, Dream realized she was a doe, and a young one by the looks of it. Minutes ticked by as he smiled in awe of nature's beauty, the doe's young innocence to a particularly cruel world.

It gave Dream one last fleeting glance, trotting into the undergrowth, its petite hooves a gentle thrum until she was out of sight. He stood up, glancing down the path as Ant and Red joined him.

"For a second we thought you had fallen," Ant chuckled honestly, looking out towards the stream. "Although it sure is peaceful here."

"It is," he responded, and Clay decided to keep his newfound animal friend a secret as the trio started back up the path. "I though you guys were with the others?"

"They're far too chaotic for us!" Red exclaimed, and Dream tipped his head in agreement, a laugh on his breath.

"Just Sapnap and Skeppy, honestly." Ant defended, but his tone was far from serious.

"George annoys me the most," Clay joked, and despite his brain thinking up the retort as the truth, he couldn't find himself to believe it.

"What's up with you two anyway? You look like us, but more you guys," Ant tried to explain, gesturing fruitlessly. "You get it."

Dream furrowed his eyebrows, shaking his head. "No, I really don't actually-" he wheezed, running a hand through his golden hair.

"Dating, but not dating," Red supplemented quietly. Clay reeled, but toned it back a smidge.

How did everyone seem to know now, years after it happened?

He laughed it off. "Back in high school, everyone was convinced we were. It was more of an inside joke, honestly. It's been awhile since we talked which is probably why we're acting weird." It was easy to lie when it was the same lie he had been telling for ages.

"The chemistry is there," The shorter brown haired boy said slowly. "But that's all you guys."

"Thanks."

They walked in silence once more, the others graciously pausing when Dream's shoe lace came untied. Eventually, he felt guilty holding them back as they were clearly in better shape, and he urged them to go on ahead, to which they accepted.