Chapter Eight

I still remember the first time I ever met Jase Pitcher. It was about half way through my Kindergarten year. Our teacher, Mrs. Montgomery announced that we were going to have a new student. A little boy with his hair combed to the side walked into the classroom alone. Our teacher put her hands on his shoulders and asked him to say his name to the class.

            “My name is Jase and I like pizza,” he said with a big smile on his face. The whole class started laughing and begging for him to sit at their tables. Jase walked over to Winnie and I’s table and sat down.

            “I wanted to sit with the pretty girls,” he said to both of us. Winnie and I looked at each other and giggled. From that point on the three of us were inseparable. Later that day Winnie and I were playing in my front yard when we heard someone call our names. We turned around and saw Jase walking out of the house on the other side of mine.

- - -

            My body is tied down to something flat. Something is holding my head still so I can’t look around. I try to say something but the only thing that comes out of my mouth is a grown of some sort.

            “Grace sweetie, stay with us okay?” A woman’s voice says from somewhere around me. I’ll try to, I mean to say but once again the blackness returns.