Chapter 8: EEE-Sue

"What happened!" Albína shouts when she opens the door to the balcony

"She had a scare," Trelix explains. He places me gently on the bed and glares at Albína. Or that could be the way he looks normally. "I'm not sure who we should call. The guard witnessed it. We should wait for instructions."

Albína doesn't seem frightened of him at all as she races to the bed and practically jumps on me.

I scoot up to a sitting position. "I don't think I need to be in bed."

"Don't get up yet." She runs her hands over me, looking for injuries. "Are you alright? What happened?"

"I don't think she should say anything until we get orders," Trelix says.

"I'm fine. Being almost kidnapped was—"

"Kidnapped!" Albína shouts as she jumps to her feet and turns on Trelix. "Kidnapped!" she yells again.

Trelix's eyes widen, and he throws his hands up in surrender. "I didn't kidnap her."

She scowls at him and turns her attention back to me. Her face and voice soften when she sweetly asks, "How are you feeling now?"

"I don't have the words—scared, terrified? I don't know. I live in the city, being kidnapped is something that could happen, but I never thought it would happen to me."

She runs a hand over my hair. "You poor thing. Can I get you something?"

I shake my head and whisper, "Being rescued by Satan doesn't help. I mean, it did because, you know, he rescued me, but this—" I don't know how to explain it. I look at him again. He's terrifyingly evil-looking. And he's huge. I think he could pick up Lenox.

"You know, I can hear you," he says with a small smile.

The smile makes him so much scarier. "Sorry," I mumble.

Jonah appears half in the wall and half on the balcony. "Our instructions are here," I say as I lean over to grab the pareixer.

Jonah's image readjusts to stand in front of me. "Are you alright?" he asks as soon as he sees me.

I nod. "Just scared. Mr. Trelix saved me." I recount the entire tale and then hand the pareixer to Trelix.

"Four ésú. Trained. Two are in custody, so we should have information soon. I don't think they'll tell us anything surprising."

Jonah nods. He looks angry. "How did this happen?"

Trelix shakes his head. "The patrol on duty is going to have to answer for the gaps in the perimeter. She should have a bodyguard."

"I don't want a bodyguard." They both ignore me. Well, in Jonah's defense, he can't hear me.

Once Trelix ends his report, he turns to me. "You may have the afternoon off to recover, but we start tomorrow. I think you would agree that you need the training."