Chapter 31: Grief

I rip open the latch and rush to Lenox

I rip open the latch and rush to Lenox. I drop to my knees by his head and put my hands on his neck. I look down at his body. His chest isn't moving. I stare at the bandage wrapped around his wings and pray that it will rise, but it's taking too long.

"Please breathe," I whisper.

Nothing. His eyes don't blink as I stroke his forelock.

"Please."

His chest moves ever so slightly. The breath I'd been holding comes out in a broken moan. I fold over and touch my head to his, and my tears fall to his cheek.

"I'm sorry," I whisper through sobs, repeating it frequently and hoping my grief makes him better. "I love you. I'm so sorry."

I cry well after my tears dry out and exhaustion kicks in. I lie down in his stall and keep my shaking hand on his neck. I have never had to comfort anyone before. I hope I'm doing it right. I watch him breathe and gently stroke his neck with my fingertips until I can no longer keep my eyes open.

Auntie's sarcastic laugh wakes me from a deep sleep. I blink my eyes open to see her leaning on the half-door of Lenox's stall. "Look, Paul, she sleeps in a barn now."

Uncle pops his head around through the opening and looks at me with a condescending smile. "You should've never left. You killed your only friend."

I look down and see Lenox's dead body covered in blood and gore. I hold up my red-glazed hands and scream.

My eyes fly open, but other than my heart pounding in my chest, all is quiet. The stall is empty. There's no blood and no Lenox. I jump to my feet and spin around, searching the tiny stall and find the door open. I run out into the aisle and see him resting peacefully on the crossties.

Levise is tending to his wounds. He's beat up, but he no longer looks on the brink of death. I give him a big hug.

"He's doing much better," Levise says.

I circle him, examining every injury. His wing is tied down, and there's a fresh bandage on his shoulder. Levise is on a stepladder changing the dressing on his rump. There's a poultice on his knee and a splint on his toe. My beautiful boy will be badly scarred.

"Are you sure?" I ask. "He doesn't look good."

"I have him heavily sedated. He'll be sleeping for the next few days."

I stay by his side and whisper words of encouragement until Levise finishes. Then I take him slowly back to his stall. He keeps his head low and doesn't look around or smell things the way he normally does. He just walks back to his stall and lies down.

I never should've thrown a temper tantrum and left the castle. Everything is my fault, and I'm the only one who didn't suffer any serious injuries. 

When I leave the stall, Levise is waiting. "If you would have someone bring me my clothes, I'll be ready in a few minutes," I say.

"Are you sure you're up to it?"