One Shot

As I was strolling around the mall, I couldn't help myself but to smile. I don't know but seeing other people bonding together with their loved ones makes me happy as well but unlike them, I'm only alone right at this moment. My boyfriend didn't come with me due to his work. Well, I'm used to it already. He always got no time when it comes to me. I'm always left out. He wasn't like this before. He always got time for me but... oh well. People really do change.

My heart suddenly hammered in my chest when I saw the National Bookstore, my all time favorite spot. I hurried myself to go in when I saw a boy crying and worse is no one seemed to notice. He's between 3-5 years old. I walked towards him and kneeled down.

"Hey baby, why are you crying?" I asked in a calm tone so that he would stop crying but he wailed even more.

I scratched my head and looked around only to find people continuing their tasks. I looked like a mother here calming her child who's having a tantrums.

"My name is Mayreth. I'm not a bad person so you don't have to be afraid," I introduced myself in a convincing way and I think it was effective because he stopped crying.

I was about to breath in relief when he cried again. What a world!

I tried to search for anything inside my bag that could make him stop wailing and luckily, I found a lollipop so I handed it to him right away. I can't remember where did I get it but I'm thankful that I have it.

He sobbed and took it. Wew!

"Now, where are your parents?" I asked.

I looked around when I got no answer from him. I held his hand and decided to bring him to the staff that can help him find his parents or guardians.

While we were walking, I saw a middle aged woman running towards us.

"Diyosmiyo! Jake, my apo!" She said and hugged the child.

I was reluctant at first because she might not be his real parent or guardian but I saw him smile and hugged her. I was relieved by that.

"I was about to bring him to the staff to help him find you. I have no bad intentions," I defended right away before they accuse me of anything.

I was tensed because the man she's with is staring at me like I'm some kind of a ghost or what. Maybe he is her husband.

"Oh! Thank you so much, hija!"

The woman exclaimed and I smiled in return. I turned my back from them to walk away, not minding if it's rude or not. All I want is to get out from that man's stare.

"May I know your name, young lady?" He asked that made stop from my track.

I gulped when I heard his voice.

"Mayreth... Mayreth Sanchez is my name," I answered without looking at them.

"Henry, let's go. Our beloved grandson must be very tired," the woman said.

"How old are you?" He asked.

I inhaled before answering him. Hearing his voice made me shiver. I don't know why I'm suddenly like this.

"I'm eighteen years old," I walked right away after I answered his question.

I don't know but I have this weird feeling. I don't like to be around him. I'm scared and I feel nervous. I hate his aura.

While I was walking so fast, I bumped someone that made me fell down on the floor.

"Miss, I'm so sorry," the man said.

I nodded. I hurt my back because of that and I want to be mad at him but I didn't mind anymore. All I want now is to be far from that man I met earlier.