Chapter 5

The next day, Jade was in an extra bad mood. She was so stressed and could not, for the life of her, figure out a solution to her problem. Does she tell Beck that she likes another girl? Or tell Nora that she needs to stop hanging out with her?
"Hi"
Nora approached Jade at her locker covered in scissors. Jade awkwardly stared at the girl approaching her, not knowing what to do.
"So I was thinking that would could hang out again, I really enjoyed the other day."
Beck saw Jade with Nora and walked up to the two girls.
"Hey babe," he said as he kissed Jade on the cheek before acknowledging the other girl, "you're Nora right? The new girl?"
Nora looked shocked at what she had just witnessed, and took a second before nodding her head in response to Beck's question.
"Well it's nice to finally meet you then!" Beck extended his hand forward towards Nora.
Nora glanced at Beck hand in front of her, noticing his other arm was around Jade's shoulder. She nodded her head, turned around, and walked away almost bitterly.
      Jade wanted to call after Nora and grab her hand, but all she could do is stare. Her breathing became a burden with each inhale. Each exhale was forcefully pushed out.
         "You know her?"
      Jade shoved his arm off her shoulder and forcefully denied knowing the other girl, before she took off to class.

      Jade went through the day in a blur, she honestly couldn't remember a single thing that happened besides the disappointment on Noras face. Jade had never felt guilty before, yet she couldn't stop this feeling from overflowing in her mind. It felt as if all her thoughts spun around the one image of Nora's expression of Beck. They just kept spinning and intertwining with each other, creating knots and tangles. Each one snagged on the piecing expression of the girl, making Jade lose track of all her thoughts.

Jade didn't even realize when she arrived at her home. She was almost dissociating all day. She walked inside, in a hazy feeling, and plopped down in front of the tv. Her backpack fell onto the ground next to her couch as she reached for the remote on the coffee table. She planted her boots on top of the table, leaned back, and clicked the tv on. As she flicked through the different channels, the flickering lights light up the room.
It started soon raining, the water droplets pounded on the roof, over and over again, begging to get in. The ponding was so loud, Jade almost couldn't hear her phone ringing.
She bent over and dug through her bag to find her phone. She unlocked it and read the name on the screen "Babe <3" She slowly pressed the green button, answering his call.
Becks voice flooded into Jade's mind as he greeted her.
   "Hello? Jade?"
Jade snapped out of her haze and mumbled a reply.
   "You seemed off today, are you okay?"
   "Yeah I'm just peachy!" Jade exclaimed sarcastically.
The couple talked together for a bit discussing why Jade was in a bad mood. She just played it off as she was PMSing, and Beck believed her. He wished her well and then hung up, leaving Jade in her on thoughts again.
Jade didn't know what to do with herself. She couldn't bring herself to move, yet she didn't want to stay where she was. It felt as if the walls were caving in on her, entrapping her in an indestructible box of cement. She failed to breathe properly, her heart thumped uncontrollably and her breathing quickened.
She quickly raced to the bathroom and ransacked the medicine cabinet. All the orange bottles looked the same: same white cap, same white label, and same black text. Her hands shook vigorously, making it almost impossible for her to read any of the prescriptions. Pill bottles fell into the sink below, making loud clanking sounds. She finally found one labeled "Alprazolam". She fumbled to pop off the lid, finally getting past the child lock. She tilted the bottle, pouring one pill out. She popped the small white pill into her mouth and turned on the water faucet. She stuck her mouth underneath the running water, allowing her to swallow the pill.
She slowly fell onto the cold tile floor trying to stabilize her breathing. The cool tiles were calming to her, since she had spent so many different occasions on this floor: when she broke up with her first boyfriend, when she got together with Beck, when her dad basically deserted her, when her and Beck broke up, when they got back together, and many more occasions. Jade couldn't help but feel a feeling of relief flood over her as the tile floor comforted her and held her in its embrace. She grabbed her phone which was laying next to her, and before she realized anything, she had dialed Nora's number.
        "Hello?"
         "Hi Nora, it-it's Jade."
The two girls soon quickly ended the call, ending it with Jade asking for Nora to come over. Jade was doubtful Nora would actually say yes, yet Jade heard the girl, on the other end of the line, say "Sure" cheerfully. Jade hung up in shock, unsure of that had just happened.
      Soon enough the door bell rang, and Jade ran down the stairs to get to door. The large door swung open revealing Nora on the other side.
         "You've got a big place here." Nora said as she stepped inside.
         "Well it's not mine it's my fathers."
      Jade walked Nora over the the living room and motioned for her to sit on the couch. Nora sat down and Jade sat down next to her.
         "So what's up?" Nora asked.
      Jade went on a whole rant about Beck and her conflicting feelings, and how she's never felt this for a girl, but she loves Beck, and the whole story.
         "I can share."
      Jade sat there, blankly staring at the other girl. It turned Jade on a bit hearing that.
         "I've done it before it's fine, just tell him about me at some time, okay?"
      Jade nodded her head in reply to the other girl. She laid her head on Nora's shoulder and grabbed her hand. The two girls sat together, leaning on each other, and quickly dozed off into a deep sleep.