play park

it was a blustery autumn day. a four-year-old ginger haired boy toddled through the play park, stumbling around slides and see-saws.

eventually, he found himself stood in the back corner of the park, before a swing set. there, he saw a dark-haired boy sat on said swings, clicking away on a console. in his slightly chubby hands, he held a pastel pink game boy, with a single "hello kitty" sticker plastered onto the back of it, along with the words "kenma kozume" on some sort of name tag.

the kid didn't look up, not even when the ginger plopped himself down on the ground, nor even when he scooted so close to him that he could hear the quiet beeps from the video game the dark-haired boy was so focused on.

"hi, im shoyo hinata, and im four!" the ginger squeaked, earning him a glance. shoyo looked back into his soft chocolate gaze with pure excitement at the possibility of making a new friend.

there was a pause as the unnamed boy returned to his game for a moment.

beep... bloop... beep, beep...

"i'm kenma kozume" he replied quietly "i'm five"

hinata shifted even closer to kenma. "is that what it says on your name tag?" he tilted his head.

th older boy blushed a little and looked away. "i told my mom not to put that on" he muttered. to be fair, kenma's pudgy grip was so tight on the game boy it'd be a shock to anyone if he ever lost it.

"ive seen you in school before" shoyo continued "your in the grade above i think. i saw you in the play ground, but you were playing on a DS so you didn't see me"

kenma paused. finally, he lowered the game away from his face. "you go to my school?" he asked.

"yes?" hinata said.

"oh... i thought you were like, three..."

it was the younger boy's turn to go as red as his hair. he jumped to his feet, squeaking "im not that small!"

kenma finally cracked a smile, albiet a small one. hinata pointed this out with a chubby finger and a yell of "you smiled!"

the boy on the swings tilted his head, his longish hair brushing across his shoulder. the ginger grabbed his hand suddenly, whining "push me on the roundabout!"

and that is exactly what kenma did.