memories

several weeks into knowing eachother, the boys lay curled up in a pillow fort, after a particularly energetic afternoon of construction and yelling and giggling. hinata had really begun to bring that side out of kenma.

"hey kenma?" shoyo asked, whispering over the cartoon they were sleepily watching.

"hey shoyo" the elder responded at a similar volume. hinata smiled.

"will you be my best friend?"

a pause.

"of course"

~timeskip-

"3...2...1!"

there was cheer and applause as hinata blew out the wax "5" on the cake, its hot orange goo already beginning to drip down.

"what did you wish for shoyo?" kenma was curious.

"well, if i tell you, it won't come true!" the birthday boy pouted, as his relatives cooed over him. kenma giggled.

"im as old as you now!" grinned hinata.

"for two months" the dark haired boy reminded him.

~timeskip~

on a hazy summer afternoon, kenma chased shoyo through his back garden with a super soaker. as hinita scurried through a gap in the fence to the little wooded area behind his house, his excitable squeals cut off, turning to a pained yelp.

"shoyo?" kenma called out "shoyo!?"

he cautiously followed hinata through the fence, finding him sitting a few feet away, clutching his knee. "shoyo!" the older boy was relieved.

"are you okay?"

kenma was answered with a sniffle. he took that as his signal to gently help the ginger to his feet, supporting him back into the safety of his own home. "your gonna be okay sho"

he sat the younger boy in a chair, then grabbed a clean cloth and carefully washed the bloody graze on hinata's knee. shoyo clutched kenma's hand, recieving a reassuring squeeze every time he let out a whine of pain.

the eldest then pulled a plaster out of his pocket, one with a cute hello kitty design. he smoothed it over the "wound", making hinita giggle.

"hello kitty? thats so cute!"

kenma felt a warm blush spread across his cheeks as he glanced away, stammering "i- its- its- whatever..."

~timeskip~

it was christmas, and the boys spent it together. at hinata's house, in pyjamas and unwrapping presents and cards.

they both held gifts for eachother in their hands, just waiting to swap them. they were more excited to see the other's reaction to their gift than to recieve a present.

"swap!" they said in unison, and did so with a laugh.

hinata tore off the wrapping paper in a frenzy, to be revealed with...

"a DS!" he gasped, holding it up as if it was some sacred artifact.  "wow! kenma this is amazing- wow!"

the giver of the gift went a little red, mumbling with a smile "it's nothing..."

"no, this is so cool! we can play games together now!"

kenma's smile widened as he nodded. he then looked down to the object in his hands, proceeding to carefully remove the wrapping paper.

"i got a few things..." hinata explained.

kenma's hands grabbed onto the first object and he lifted it up to eye level. "chocolates!"