CHAPTER 3

- "trust the magic of new beginnings" –

Zubiya's POV

The instinct to flee is normal. But there's no point in evasion, in trying to avoid pain when you know that wherever you go sorrow will always follow you. I grope for the mantra that I've formulated in the past few years and cling to it. The way out of fear leads through fear, I repeat to myself trying to prepare for this new day will bring to me.

If the dawn could have had a sound, it would have been a vibrant symphony which built to a powerful, earth shattering crescendo as it commanded the world to wake anew, I think as I open my curtains and admire the sun as it rises from the east. And as I'm looking at this wonderful view I am reminded of a verse from Whitman's 'Song of Myself'.

To behold the day-break

The little light fades the immense and diaphanous shadows

The air tastes good to my palate.

I can't begin to imagine how the day ahead will turn out. Much as I'm anticipating it, a part of me is dreading and for once I don't listen to that part of myself. Instead I focus on the good, today is the day that I leave the past behind and start a new chapter. A new chapter of my life started the moment I set foot in this place and it was up to me what I wrote in it.

The air is free, for once I am not being suffocated by the standards of society instead I am looking forward to meeting new people and being content for once. The hope of betterment, hope to move forward lives and burns within me.

I rub my eyes trying to shake the sleep out of them. I prepared everything last night so it doesn't take me long to get ready. I would be lying if I said that dressing up didn't excite me but I just didn't have the energy in past years, to place it into something as superficial as fashion.
Little to no make and just a plain, simple, old school braid was my bread and butter, whoever today for the first time in a long time, I want to put some effort in my appearance. I believe in the simpler things in life so I done on a long grey kurta with white trousers and tie up hair into a french braid so that they stay out of my face during the day and I add a white dupatta to finish the look.

 I believe in the simpler things in life so I done on a long grey kurta with white trousers and tie up hair into a french braid so that they stay out of my face during the day and I add a white dupatta to finish the look

.............................................................................................

The driver who I met yesterday is waiting for me in the parking area. We exchange greetings and I situate myself in the van as he begins to drive. Normally I would have struck up a conversation but today the nerves won't let me speak and but my lack of speaking doesn't faze Rustom, which I so far have learnt is the driver's name, as he cheerfully tells me facts about the hospital while I just nod trying to match his enthusiasm. He stops right in front of the Neelum Valley Hospital and we bid our goodbyes as I climb down the vehicle.

As I walk in, a few heads turn to look at me and smile in a welcoming manner, obviously knowing who I am while I just nod back at them in obliviousness.