Ch 21

Five months had passed since everything happened, Gabriel was put in jail for murder and so was Tomoe for attackingus and attempt on Emilys life. Emily filed for a divorce and raised Adrien as a single mother with the help of Natile who decided to stop working for Gabriel and worked as Emily’s secretary as she went back into acting.

I was in school after taking a week off and Alya was brought back to school as well. She has to leave some days early for therapist appointments. We all always ate in a silent group at lunch and walked to and from school together, after what had happened to us, it was what was most comforting.

“Um, hey guys?” I turned to my group as we left the school. “I’ll meet you all at the library later, there's just somewhere I need to go first.”

“Okay” Nino said and the other agreed with him.

“See you later.” Adrien said kissing my forehead, reluctant to let go of my hand.

“I’ll be fine.” I wave them off, untangling my hand. “Tell my uncle I’ll be there later.” they nodded. After the battle, my mom reached out to my uncle and I found out he was the librarian of my favorite library, we just never recognized each other.

I watched them walk away chatting and took out my phone to call a cab. It arrived after a while.

“The cemetery please.” I told the driver. Once there, I paid and got out.

“Thank you.” I waved. I stepped back and took a deep breath before walking through the gates, I’ve been putting this off for too long but now, I feel ready. I walked through rows and rows of gravestones before I came to the one I was looking for.

It was troubling having to ignore all the ghosts mulling around here, but for the most part, they didn’t pay me any attention.

“Hello? Who are you?” I turned to see a ghost walking towards me. “What are you doing at my grave?”

“Kagami?” I asked.

“Yes, that’s me, and you are?”

“It’s me, your cousin, Marinette.” her eyes widened.

“You’ve changed. You seem powerful now.”

“Yeah, that’s a long story.”

“Well, not that I don’t mind the visit, what are you doing here?”

“I, um, I want to bring you back to life if you’d like.” I offered. “I really want to get to know you and I think you deserve to live out your life longer.

She pondered over my words. “No.”

“Pardon?”

“There's nothing for me in life. My father died when I was young and I can leave the graveyard, I’ve seen the news, my mother is in jail, she murdered people. I don’t want to have to live with that. While I do agree, my time was cut too short, I don’t want to go back, too much has changed and it would be best for me to stay where I am.”

“Oh.” I looked at my feet in disappointment.

“But, you can help me in a way. You’re death, right? If you could escort me to the otherside, I’d love to catch up on the way.” She gave a comforting smile.

“I’d like that.” I had figured out my powers a while ago and I held out my hand to her. A portal formed in front of us and I took a step in leading her.

While we walked, we talked about the many things we did with our life and beyond that.

“There's my dad, your uncle.” She pointed into the distance.