Day 24: To Catch A Ninja

October 24th 2020
Prompt: "DIE EVIL DEMON ARGHHH!!!"

Don't ask me what made me create that prompt. Honestly I don't know.
********

   We lived in a jungle.

  You don't exactly get high speed internet there so what did you expect? Joey only knew about the ninja from the occasional book or news clipping we were able to find in the tiny, probably illegal, markets outside of our wood.

  So as he grew up I accidentally mixed up Santa Clause and the ice ninja, simple mistake. They're both...winter-ey. And maybe I also switched the tooth fairy and the one who annoys everyone. No big deal. Okay, and I might've also said the green ninja was the one who gifted the magical presents from the nature spirit. I wanted to get him off of my back, okay? Little brothers tend to annoy you so you throw off the first thing that comes to mind! Unfortunately, I didn't realize that young children had a tendency to want to catch the little spirits that bring the goodies. How was I supposed to know? You'd think a kid would reason that you shouldn't man-handle the thing that gives you presents when you're good, but I guess children are greedy at eleven years old.

  Mom and Dad were elemental masters who worked under an agency that helped decimate the illegal trade of vengestone and things like secret plans out in the middle of the desert. Of course that career also placed a target on your back and those you love so Joey and I were left in the care of our great uncle, Joseph. Unfortunately Joseph passed away a long time ago without anyone knowing it.

  I was always left to take care of myself and Joey after that. It was fine. I could hunt, I could gather, I was resourceful. The forest became apart of me as I of it. Joey loved exploring in the forest. He hadn't shown any signs of elemental powers so we all assumed he didn't have any. So while I honed in on my powers he raced around which might've been when he began plotting his sinister little kid plan.

  In my defence I have to do everything. Find the food, cook the food, clean the house, all while making sure none of us died and keeping our defences up. So some days I'm not totally paying attention to whatever Joey's doing. He used to just run around screaming "die evil demon argghhh!" and I had long stopped looking at the insects he brought inside. That proved to be a bad choice after fire ants found their way into my bed but that's besides the point.

  "Hey Kiara! I found a stream by the great oak!"

  "Mmkay." I replied as I folded laundry.

  "Hey Kiara! I going to go climb the great oak!"

  "Mmkay." I replied while I charted where our parents were.

  "Hey Kiara! I found a hornets nest and I'm going to knock it down!"

  "Mmkay." I replied while I nailed the treehouse so it didn't fall apart while we were sleeping.

  "Hey Kiara! I'm going to go catch a ninja!"

  "Mmkay." I replied while I did the very important job of sleeping.

  Usually he doesn't get up to that much trouble. Usually he just dawdles around and then comes back. Usually ninja aren't traipsing around a jungle for crying out loud! So imagine my surprise when he comes in and says:

  "HEY KIARA!!!!! I CAUGHT A NINJA!"

*********

Beeping filled the air, the sound of feet pounding against the bark of the huge branches that bridged the gap in between trees, cries fear of the creatures of the forest erupted, the sound of an army yelling orders as they stampeded through the jungle.