author's note

thank you so much for reading book two!!

so i'm just going to clear a few things up that may have not made a lot of sense in this book, again feel free to comment on this chapter if you have any questions!!

your reads mean so much to me because these books are actually kind of personal and based off my experiences with grief and whatnot but told in a more fun world

so, without further ado, explanations to five of the most confusing parts:

1. Draco's "marry me" line:

Draco says this during Christmas break before a very um graphic sex scene with Catherine. Now, does he mean this literally? 

Absolutely not, Draco is not into Catherine in a romantic sense. However, he plots in his head - which he thinks is completely moral and logical - to marry Catherine and keep Hermione as a mistress. 

Now, this may seem forward thinking for a fifteen/sixteen year old kid, but for Draco, this is pretty common amongst his relatives. He's grown up with these ideologies and ways of living. Yet, for his parents, Catherine would make the best wife possible (as explained in the first book), but for Draco, he wants Hermione. Anyway, essentially, he is trying to get Catherine to agree to be a fake wife essentially. 

We love toxic Draco!

2. Catherine's sporadic grief:

Like I said, this book is based on my own situation of grief. Cedric Diggory reminded me a lot of my brother, who I lost a little while ago. They were the same personality and age, but anyway, I based Catherine's grieving process off my own. However, I obviously lost a brother and not a boyfriend of a year, so that was bit more challenging to write. So, no Cedric is not like my brother, but yeah, you get the picture lol.

So, when she loses Cedric, she can't process all her emotions. However, unlike Cho, Catherine has darkness, bitterness, and vengeance clouding her senses. Furthermore, Catherine and Harry have always kind of had this odd connection that she refused to acknowledge, unlike Cho who only wanted him because he was the last one with Cedric.

Now, Catherine is grieving in many ways including unhealthy coping mechanisms, anger, and occasionally allowing herself to feel the pain. We see instances of illegal substances, drinking, and many other destructive patterns.

3. Harry's forgiveness and whole character:

Don't worry, we still have Captain Oblivious Harry, but we also see a different side to Harry that the books eluded to but not the movies. So, if you read the books, then his lines at the Ministry made sense. However, if you've only ever seen the movies, then they may have seemed a little out of character. Anyway, we love sassy, angry Harry. 

Now, on to the subject of Harry forgiving Catherine for shagging Malfoy in front of him. Harry doesn't exactly forgive Catherine completely until after the Ministry; honestly, the rest is based on the fact that he has a crush on her. It's nothing more than that until the Ministry, what happens between them forms a bond. Once Harry sees that she would die for him - Don't forget, Harry has not really understood that people love him before he came to Hogwarts! -, he's forced to face that fact that Catherine is now a huge part of his life.

Harry may appear out of character, but he's still martyr Harry, hero Harry, and oblivious Harry. This is just how he would respond with Catherine as a love interest and not Ginny.

4. Neville's bolder character:

I wanted to show off Neville's character a bit more than the movies and sometimes the books did. His friendship with Catherine brings out a bolder side to Neville because he doesn't feel like he has to hide anything from her. Initially, Catherine only pities him, but at the end of the day, he's probably the only person who fully has her respect.

Also, Catherine is one of the first people to know about his parents and not judge him. It's a relief to him to have a friend like her, which as we know, Catherine is quite a good friend. Well, when she wants to be at least. 

Neville is really a great friend, and he is actually quite well-spoken when he trusts the people he's with. 

5. Catherine's potions:

Catherine's potion that she talks about briefly throughout the book is a pinnacle point of the third one. While this potion is harmless on paper, it is supposed to be like adderall. She essentially uses it to force herself not to eat and to stay awake.

A brief explanation of that is again with my own grieving. While sometimes the insomnia is natural, there are other times where you're too scared to go to sleep. Catherine suffers from situational depression, but it's not really something the Wizarding World focuses on. So, she's never properly treated for it.

However, if you (like me), suffer from situational depression then you know that sleep is often one of the scariest things to face because it allows dark thoughts to plague the brain. 

With her eating disorder, Catherine uses it to punish herself a bit more. Not eating is also a way to be in control, which she feels that she has loss. However, for her, she does not realize that this is her form of punishment to herself. 

So, yeah, happy things!

anyway, thank you so much for reading. and if any of this triggers you, feel free to message me, i'm always available to talk(:

thank you guys for sticking with the series, it means so much to me(: