Deafening Silence

When the general was young, his mother would tell him, as all mothers did, that she awaited the day when his child would give him the trouble he gave her. Washington never thought the day would come. He and Martha seemed content in their current affairs. Now though, an affair would certainly be the object of their attentions.

        As the General made his way down the busy streets he kept his eyes forward, but the whole of his concentration was on the small steps following his. He had to think clearly and rationally. First, though, he had to be calm.

        When father and son had arrived back at the dock, their horses were ready and their luggage would be delivered to the camp while they would ride ahead.

        Washington helped the small boy onto his horse before mounting his own. Alexander kept his eyes down but his insecurities rose further. He admittedly knew very little of riding, still his pride and current fear kept him from asking anything of the general. He watched the General lead his horse and followed suit.

        An hour passed when they had finally left the borders of the city and were now alone on a worn path in the silent forest.

        It was non-sensical for the General, leader of the war, to be traveling alone, especially with a child who would distract his priorities in the event of an attack. They had few other alternatives, however. With such a scandal as this, the fewer who knew the truth the better. There would be talk upon their arrival to camp, but without the General's confirmation, talk is all it would be.

        When the daylight began to dwindle, the pair stopped to set up camp for the night. After a fire was started and rations distributed, Washington spoke, "Alexander?"

        The boy looked up at his name, the fire's light only serving to highlight his small frame. "Yes, sir?"

        "I want to know why you wandered off today."

        Alexander would like to know that himself, "I wish I could offer you a reasonable answer, sir, but alas, I can only offer my inexperience in rationalizing as reason enough for my folly. A foolish excuse I know." It was here that Alexander expected the long-awaited berating, perhaps a backhand. It was possible that Alexander may need to start trusting more in the General, for no such expectations were met.

        The General missed the internal turmoil faced by the boy as he stared into the fire. "Inexperienced indeed you are. You have never been in America, you have never been in any large city before. You are not privy to the wisdom of age alexander so you must trust that I, not wanting for experience, will be capable of guiding you truly. I do not wish to hear of the circumstances leading to my finding of you in a tavern, brawling with grown men. I only wish to hear that you have no intention of repeating these transgressions." At this Washington looked back into the boy's eyes, bright and dark all at once.

        "Yes, sir. I am sorry. I'll not stray from your direction ever again." Alexander was earnest in his word. A small smile played at the general's lips.

        "As is the cry of youth." The two, father and son, fell into silence. Far more comfortable than earlier, almost companionable.

        "Sleep Alexander, in the morning we ride for Valley Forge."