CHAPTER 6 - THE YELLOW HOUSE BOOK

"Kabir....Kabir...." "Blue house...Blue house..." – the loudest possible cheer, from the audience themselves, as it was time for the 200 meter full-sprint race, and Kabir was the participant from the Blue House.

Abhimanyu Mantri, with a circular batch, on the left side of his chest, with the words written – "CAPTAIN: YELLOW HOUSE", the back side, near the collar, is wet, full of sweat, a black fast-track watch on his left wrist, and a classmate book with the name-"Yellow House, Sports book" held in his right hand, was standing at the finishing line of the 200 meter race track.

I was present on the ground, cheering for the Yellow house, after all I am the Captain of Yellow House, yaar.

Nevertheless, I was so very sure, that Blue house was going to win, because, in the recent 1 month, Kabir had become the fastest runner of Grade 10th.

Toh, mujhe bharosa Blue house pe nahi, mere KABIRA pe hain.

It was our football sir, who held the pistol in his hand, probably the only weapon which we had in our school, which was used only during the sports day.

Thus, it was all set, all the participants were on the tracks, and suddenly, there was a 2-second silence, as it was time to hear the sound of the pistol.

He pulled the trigger, as all the participants started in their full speed, running for the gold medal in the 200 meter sprint and a score of 20 points added to their house total.

Just then, something astonishing happened, which no one was expecting, and many people were disappointed including me.

The fact is, Rohan Pandey, the racer from the Yellow house, came first, but I was not at all interested in the 20 points or the gold medal.

After completing approximately 100 and a 10 meters, all of a sudden, Kabir stumbled down, with his right hand pointing towards his feet, he fell, tumbling down once on the ground, and he actually slide/skid, whatever we call, for a certain distance, which probably might have hurt his knees and the legs a lot, tearing the skin.

Panicking, I rushed towards him, I left my book on a chair which was kept nearby, not thinking of whether somebody will take or steal it or something.

There were 4 students, including me, and 2 of our sports teachers, who lifted him, each holding one of his 2 hands and 2 legs, and we rushed to the medical room of our school.

He was conscious but was frustrated with agony, pain and the fact that he could not take part in any of the remaining events which included, 100 meter race, tug-of-war etc.

"Yaar Abhi, saala last year tha, yahan bhi gaya" – his words when we held him in our arms and were rushing for his medication.

"Kabira, chill, sab thik ho jayenga" my wholehearted consoling reply.

We made him sleep on the white bed, when one of the teacher brought the entire medical kit, and I was just gazing at his wounds. The worst part which was indeed noticeable was, "uski knees ki skin puri chil gayi hain" I spoke to my basketball sir, in his ears.

I held a long piece of cotton in my hand, as I was just cleaning the blood, on his left knee, and the teacher asked rest of the 3 boys to leave.

After 15 minutes, when we had cleaned his wound, with Dettol, antiseptic and water, sir told me to leave as well.

"Sir, 10 minute, main rukhta na yahan pe" cause I actually felt to stay there with Kabira.

"Ae pagal, tu yellow house ka captain hain, jaldi jaa, I am okay now" was the first reply to my pleadings from Kabir Chuadhary himself.