Eleven

An update before Saturday night LIKE
PROMISED

I sat at the dinner table waiting for my mom to finish up and sit down to eat. I was hoping the conversation she was wanting to have would be positive and quick. This day has drained me both physically and mentally, all I could think about was my bed and sleeping comfortably in it.

"Alright, dig in!" My mom squealed as she finally sat down.

I began eating waiting for her to start the conversation she was wanting to have this morning. I looked up at her multiple times, waiting for her to say something.

"So, I wanted to sit down with you and talk to you." She started to say setting her fork down.

"About?" I asked.

"Well you're starting college in two months and we are running out of time." She paused and covered her mouth as if she was trying to hold back her tears.

"When your dad left, I wasn't the best mom to you. I couldn't give you what you needed because I was so broken and I couldn't see that you were broken too." She explained, her voice started cracking in between her words.

"When I saw you walking around the campus it made me realize I'm losing time with you and I'm running out of time to just be your mom because once you're in college you won't need me like you used to."

I continued to listen with my hands sitting in my lap, I had completely forgotten there was a plate of food still in front of me. I was getting to hear the words I've been waiting for.

"I guess what I'm trying to say and what I should have said a long long time ago is I'm sorry and I hope you can forgive me and also forget the past." At this point she was crying and letting the tears run down her face. I was also getting tears in my eyes as I listening to her talk.

"I want us to have a relationship, I don't want you to spend Thanksgiving and Christmas in your dorm room alone when you could be with me. I don't want you to dread coming here to visit and I don't want you to just cut me out of your life the minute I drive away on the first day of school."

Everything she was saying was something I have been wanting and waiting to hear since I was in seventh grade. All I ever wanted her to do was acknowledge and apologize for what she was doing. The anger that was building up inside me all this time was because she was acting like nothing was wrong all these years. I feel like I can start to forgive her, now that she is taking that first step.

"I forgive you mom, but you need to stop drinking. No more hiding beer, no wine at restaurants or with your friends. That needs to change." I stated.

She quickly nodded agreeing to my condition. I watched her as a smile finally appeared on her face and we both got up from our chairs and hugged each other. Tight.

As I hugged her, I felt like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. I felt like I could finally be around her and not feel angry or aggravated. I felt like I could go off to college and feel happy about coming home for the holidays and even just coming home because I want to. I also felt like I finally had my mom back.

-

Daniel's POV

As I grabbed my phone and quickly fixed my hair in the mirror, Marcus came knocking on the bathroom door.

"What?" I asked quickly. I was running late for picking up Addison and the last thing I wanted was her being pissed at me the minute she sees me.

"I thought you were going to stop talking to her?" He asked leaning against the door hinge of the bathroom.