Chapter 11

Don't marry NK.

The words he had spoken earlier hung silently between them as they walked out of the premises of the Taj Mahal. Since they were the last ones to get out, the caretaker had taken it upon himself to accompany them till the gate, making absolutely sure they had left.

'I need to use the rest room,' she said in a low voice as she sat in the car.

'Could you hold on until we get to the hotel?' He said impatiently. 'It's right next door.'

'Right next door' was an understatement thought Khushi when she saw him turning into the drive way in less than five minutes. Looking at Khushi's surprise when they entered the hotel's stupendous driveway, Arnav told her that the hotel was just six hundred metres from the Taj Mahal.

The "hotel" turned out to be The Oberoi – Amar vilas, a building built like a palace, with beautifully carved pillars and arches. As they stepped into the lobby, Khushi was stunned by its grandeur. A huge chandelier hung down from a really high domed ceiling illuminating the entire reception with its luminance. Right below the chandelier was an ornate round table with the most elaborate flower arrangement placed on it. Khushi had seen five star hotels before but this one definitely took the cake in its sheer opulence.

A few minutes later, Khushi joined Arnav at their table at the restaurant after having used the wash room. As she gazed at the distant view of the Taj Mahal, the manager proudly informed her that, all rooms, suites, lobby, bar and lounge in the hotel had a view of the Taj Mahal.

'Where is Mr Sheik?' Khushi said when the manager had left them.' We will get late getting back home.'

'He will be here soon. It's just seven now. I will have you home before next year.'

'Uh?' Her eyebrow twisted in confusion at first and then straightened as realization dawned. 'Oh it's New Years Eve!'

'How is Piyali doing?' Arnav said, once looking at the menu the attender had given them. 'Did she pass her scholarship exams?'

Khushi's face fell. 'She did pass her exams but she didn't win the scholarship as another child did better than her.'

'I see.' He said going back to the menu. 'Would her family accept a sponsor?'

'Probably -- but who would be ready ---' When she saw the look in Arnav's eyes, Khushi clutched his hand eagerly. 'You would do that for her?' she said looking at him with luminous eyes. 'She could become something.'

'I am not sure if that is a good or a bad thing.' He said looking at her hand. 'I'll see what I can do.'

Khushi took her hand back and tucked a wayward strand of hair behind her ear nervously. She took off her coat, stretching her shoulders backwards in an unconsciously sensuous gesture unaware that she looked like blossoming rose in her simple pink blouse.

When he saw her earlier in the afternoon, the pink of her blouse had reflected onto her lips, making him want to taste those rosy petals. That is why he had stuttered out a monosyllabic reply and turned away from her before he ended up doing something he might regret.

The meeting with Mr Sheik was successful and by the end of the dinner, they had managed to get another appointment few days later.

After seeing him off, Khushi and Arnav embarked on their journey back to the Delhi. They had been driving for fifteen minutes when Khushi observed that they were moving at a snail's pace.

'What's going on?' Khushi said rubbing her arms. 'Why are we going so slowly?'

'Fog.' Arnav said laconically. 'Khushi, I think it will be a good idea to go back to the hotel. I don't think we are too far from Agra yet.'