oh to be happy

I blink, my gaze shifting between the page and the door. 'Good,' I mumble.

I guess I can start from the beginning. As I write, the scratch scratch of the pen on the harsh paper seems like the loudest sound in this grey, cold house.

When I got accepted into University, I felt so happy.

Even writing the word, it seems foreign, as if it was a concept that I could have had, was it not so far from reality.

I was finally going to do what I wanted. Finally. I remember how difficult it was to get in, and how confused I was when applying. And then my first day. It was the most exciting day of my life, when I finally got to see my dorm and meet my roommate. He was brilliant, and helped me through that first year like nobody else.

I lift my pen, my mind going back to those late night study sessions and constant cramming. We used to stay up for hours laughing, and I couldn't believe how lucky I was, getting him. Something good had finally happened to my life. I feel my lips curl at the memory, the first genuine smile in what seemed like months. Shaking my head, I stare at the rain lashing outside my window, the sky dark and stormy.

I hesitantly put my pen down on the paper, and relive the memory I had been trying to forget since the first time I saw it.