Chapter 10: Lake

"We need to talk!" A deep voice yelled from behind me.

I turned around, and it was Gunner. He marched over to me in his football uniform, sweat running down his face. The bags under his eyes let me know he hadn't slept in days. He looked terrible.

"What do you want?" I asked, closing my locker.

"Outside," Gunner muttered, motioning for me to follow him.

The cold air gripped me as I walked to the courtyard. I zipped my black jacket up, wrapping my arms around myself. Jason was leaning against a tree, smoking a cigarette, and I rolled my eyes. Of course, he was with his master. He smirked at me as we approached, and I flipped him off. Gunner and I sat across from Jason, and I waited to see what the hell was going on.

Gunner faced me. "Emani will always be my girl Lake. She's just confused. I know something is going on with her. She hasn't been herself, but I'll get my baby back in no time."

Fat chance. "Ok, why are you telling me?"

"He wants you to back the hell off," Jason sneered. "You're always with her."

"You two are pathetic," I groaned. "Emani is just my friend, but I'm more of a man than you will ever be, Gunner. You didn't know how to treat her. Let her move on and stop playing games."

Gunner's eyes narrowed, then flickered to Jason. "I see we are going to have to resort to plan b, Jay." He glanced at me, a cold smile on his face.

Gunner leaped to his feet and hit me in the face. Before he could strike again, I stood up and kicked his groin. He doubled over in pain, holding his jewels, and I rubbed my sore face. Jason flew at me, and I tackled him to the ground. He got one good punch to my jaw before I started pounding the shit out of him. His lip was bleeding, and he whimpered like a baby. I didn't care. I was done being picked on by those two.

"Ouch, my nose!" Jason cried, holding his bloody nose. I felt warm liquid on my hand and stopped, climbing off him.

"Stay the fuck away from me," I snarled at them. "I like Emani, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Gunner was still holding his manhood, and Jason was lying on his back quietly for once. I can't believe they tried to jump me, and part of me thought about attacking them again.

Gunner mumbled something under his breath, but I couldn't understand him.

I closed my eyes, rubbing my hands on my knees. I was shaking with rage. I had to calm down, but nothing was working. Think of something, Lake. Anything. I pictured Emani's angelic face, and my body relaxed. She was slowly becoming my weakness.

Gunner and Jason didn't move a muscle as I crept past them. They didn't make eye contact with me, and I grinned.

Ten minutes later, I was on a bus to Emani's house. I didn't tell her I was coming and couldn't wait to see the look on her face. I missed her. I was bursting with excitement when the bus turned on her street. Her mom's car was gone, and I knew she must be at work. I pulled the cord above my head and exited the bus.

I knocked on the door, and Seven opened it. She was wearing a baggy t-shirt and Spongebob pajama pants. Her light brown eyes widened, and then she smiled.

"I remember you. You're Emani's boo thing," she said in a soft voice.

I was fighting laughter. "I'm just her friend. Is she home?"

Seven opened the door, and I stepped inside. The living room was even bigger than the last time I saw it. The walls were painted a dark grey, and the floor was covered in tan carpet. There were pictures of Emani and her family on the walls, and I grinned at the younger version of her. She looked cute in her pigtails and sailor dress. I swear everyone had one of those pictures back in the day.

"Emani, your boyfriend is here," Seven hollered at the bottom of the stairs. She batted her eyelashes at me. "He's looking like a snack."

Oh, God.

Emani hurried down the stairs in a plain white t-shirt and faded jeans. Her black hair was bone straight and looked longer. She flashed me an apologetic smile and gently pushed Seven away.

"Sorry about that." She frowned when she noticed my swollen cheek. "Lake, what happened?"

I'd forgotten about Gunner hitting me. "It's nothing, E."

She touched my face. "Tell me."

I groaned, hating she was making such a fuss over me. "Gunner and Jason cornered me today. He basically told me to stay away from you, and when I said no, they tried to jump me."

Emani sucked in a breath, balling her small fists up. "I'm going to kill Gunner. That's so messed up, Lake."

Her protectiveness made me want to pull her in my arms. I was getting too attached to her but screw it; I didn't care. I felt a happiness I haven't felt in years, and no one was going to take that away from me. We just clicked, but I didn't know if she felt the same way. I was too chicken to broach that topic.

"Lake," Emani called out my name, snapping me back to reality. "Do you want to stay over tonight? My mom won't be home until tomorrow."

Jordan was away on a business trip and told me I could stay at his place. Being in that empty house alone didn't sound fun, and I found myself nodding.

"Yay, we can have a slumber party," Seven interjected.

Emani made popcorn and ordered two large pizzas. Seven was coloring on the floor, and I flipped through channels trying to find a kid-friendly movie.

After eating dinner, Seven fell asleep on the floor. I hoisted her over my shoulder and carried her upstairs. She was light as a feather, and I placed her in bed, covering her with a warm blanket.

"Night Seven, " I whispered.

I clutched my chest when I noticed Emani standing in the doorway. "I didn't even hear you come up."

She laced her arm with mine, and we strolled down the hallway. "Seven really likes you."

I tilted my head in her direction. "I like her and you a lot."

Without a word, her lips touched mine, and the world around us stopped. I cupped her face, and she wrapped her arms around my neck. She felt so right in my arms, and I didn't want to let her go. Ever. As the kiss intensified, she weaved her hands in my hair and our tongues collided. When I pulled back, her eyes were still closed.

It was epic.

********************************************
Hmm, things are heating up for Emani and Lake. Do you think Gunner will leave her alone for good? 👀