Chapter 15: Emani

The judge granted us a protection order against Travis, and if he comes near me, he will get arrested. Since then, he hasn't contacted me or popped up. As for the assault, I decided to let it go and move on. My mom was angry at me for not telling my story, but she didn't understand. I wasn't ready to tell a complete stranger about that night. It's not easy talking about it over and over. Just telling my friends and family was enough. I felt like a weight had been lifted now that it was out in the open.

"Are you sure you don't want to press charges, Emani?" My mom asked me, sitting on the edge of my bed.

"Please don't pressure me to file a complaint, mom. I just want to leave it in the past and move on," I replied as I finished up my homework.

Compassion filled her face before she nodded. "Ok, I won't mention it ever again. I'm proud of you either way." She kissed my forehead and left the room.

I waited until I heard her footsteps disappear before calling Lake. He picked up on the second ring.

"Hey E, what's up?"

"I want to go somewhere. I'm tired of being stuck in the house."

"Same here. Larry is back and is driving me crazy."

"Holy fuck."

Lake laughed. "Yeah, I'll tell you all about it when I see you."

Around five, I drove to Lake's house, and he reluctantly let me come in. An older man that I assumed was Larry sat on the couch. His eyes raked over my body in a way that made me uncomfortable. I covered my chest and avoided eye contact with him.

"Lake, who is this goddess?" he asked, walking towards me.

"Emani," Lake said with a hint of warning, and Larry looked away. Lake put his hand on my back and led me out the door.

"Larry is creepy," I said as I unlocked my vehicle. Lake opened my door for me, his gaze lingering on my face. "Thanks."

He grimaced, scratching his head. "You're welcome, and trust me; I don't want him here. He showed up the other night and blackmailed me into letting him stay."

"Wow. He's an ass," I told Lake, putting the key in the ignition. "I hate how he treats you. What is he holding over you?"

"He threatened to send me back into the system."

I was fuming mad. "Are you serious? Ugh!"

Lake sighed, taking his jacket off. "I don't want to deal with that, E." He reached for my hand. "I won't let that happen."

"You can always stay at my place, Lake," I offered. "Mom has been working a lot more, and Seven is barely home." I stroked his hand. "It gets lonely."

"I might just do that. I need a break from Larry, " he admitted looking stressed. "I'll stay tonight."

I was excited that he was spending the night, but I hated the circumstances that brought this on. Lake didn't deserve this at all, and I was angry for him. Larry's karma will come, and I can't wait to witness it.

Two hours later, we settled on the couch in my living room with our food. Lake bought us Olive Garden, and I dug into my chicken tortellini pasta. It was so freaking good. The alfredo sauce and cheese melted in my mouth, and I moaned.

"Do you want some of my gnocchi soup?" Lake asked, opening his container. "I always dip the breadsticks in it."

I eyed his soup. It did look good. "Ok." Lake fed me his soup, and I groaned. "This is so yummy."

Lake laughed. "I'm glad you like it, E. It's my favorite."

He brought his spoon back to my lips, and I devoured it. "Lake, if you keep feeding me, you won't have any left."

Lake chuckled. "So, I decided to apply to a few colleges."

My mouth dropped open. "Omg omg! Where?"

"Ohio State, University of Chicago and community college. I applied for some scholarships too."

I jumped into his lap, parting my lips to kiss him. He weaved his hands in my hair, and I wrapped my arm around his neck, deepening the kiss. Before I knew it, I was on my back, and Lake's hand was on my thigh.

"What are you guys eating?" Seven asked as she came down the stairs. "It smells delicious."

I pushed Lake off me and adjusted my clothing. My lips were bruised, and I was breathing fast. Lake smirked at me before moving to the other side of the couch.

I grinned at Seven, giving her a breadstick. "Olive Garden. Here you can have some of my pasta."

"Where is mom?" Seven scanned the living room, and my heart ached for her.

"Work."

Seven sighed, then reached for another breadstick. "She's always at work. It's not fair, Emani. She missed my awards ceremony last week, and then you are always with Lake."

I grew tense as tears streamed down her face. I pulled her into my arms and stroked her hair, humming her favorite lullaby. She fell asleep a few minutes later, and Lake carried her upstairs and put her in bed. The scene warmed my heart, and I kissed him on the cheek.

"You're so good with her, " I said.

Lake inclined his head, blushing at my remark. "She's a sweet girl. I feel bad for stealing you away from her so much. We will have to make her feel more included."

My heart melted. Lake was such a caring person. Gunner never tried to get to know my sister and would ignore her most of the time.

"I couldn't agree more."

                              ✨✨✨
                                Seven

His dark eyes settled on me as I laid in bed. Scars covered his arms, and one was under his eye. I remembered Emani's bloody gown from years ago and wanted to scream. He shouldn't be here in my room, but somehow he managed to get inside the house.

Travis.

"Seven, I won't hurt you. I want to get to know my youngest niece," he whispered, coming towards me. "You're so pretty."

The clock beside my bed read two in the morning. Emani was probably asleep and hadn't heard Travis walk into my room.

"You shouldn't be here," I hissed, reaching for my phone under my blanket. "I'm calling my mom."

Travis snatched the phone out of my hand. "I wouldn't do that if I were you, little girl."

My hand accidentally hit the glass on my nightstand, shattering it onto the floor.

"Seven, what was that noise?" I heard Emani's door opening, and she came into my room. She turned the light on, rubbing her eyes.

My bedroom window was open, and air-filled the room, making me cold.

Travis was gone.

********************************************

Hey guys! So Travis still hasn't given up, and it seems like now he's focused his attention on poor Seven! I decided to do that scene in Seven's pov so that you could get more detail. Are you excited that Lake will start back staying at Emani's place? Let me know👀