Chapter 11: Emani

"Emani Anne Jefferson, wake up!" my mother shouted.

I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and looked over at Lake snoring next to me. Shit. We fell asleep in my room, and now we are busted. Time to either beg or cry.

My mother was glaring at Lake, and I shook him. Lake gazed at me, smiling, but his grin faded when he saw my mother. Her eyes widened when she looked down at Lake's bare chest. I swallowed hard. I don't even remember him taking it off.

"Why is there a boy in your room?" She asked while clutching her nursing bag. Her hands were shaking.

"Mrs. Jefferson, I'm so sorry," Lake said, scratching his head.

She narrowed her eyes at him as if he was a criminal. "I asked my daughter." Her eyes flickered back to me, and I put my face in my hands. She checked her watch. "It's ten after six."

"Mom, we fell asleep nothing happened. I swear."

Silence.

"Young man, you need to leave," she responded sharply.

Lake gave me an apologetic glance before shuffling out the room. Poor Lake.

She cocked an eyebrow putting her hand on her hip. "This boy has you sneaking around, and I don't like it."

"Lake is a good person, mom. You are just never here to get to know him," I said, feeling exasperated. "He's been there for me in ways that you would never understand."

"If I ever catch you with that boy again, your vehicle privileges will be revoked, Emani. I have enough to worry about with Travis, and this isn't helping."

"I'm sorry, mom, but I can't do that. Lake is a part of my life now."

"It wasn't a question, Emani. I'm so disappointed in you right now," she hissed, slamming my door.

I grabbed my phone off my nightstand and texted Lake.

Me: Did you make it home??

Lake: Yeah. Ugh, I can't believe I dozed off. No offense, but your mom scares me, lol.

I laughed.

Me: I think your shirt being off gave her the wrong idea. :)

Lake: I got hot and took it off. I should have left at midnight, but someone wanted to cuddle ;)

Me: The Conjuring is scary...I told you I don't like spooky stuff. :(

Lake: You're always safe with me, E. Besides, I liked holding you. You always smell like vanilla :)

After texting Lake, I felt better and closed my eyes. I was almost asleep when my phone rang. I recognized Gunner's number and sighed. During the madness, I forgot to block his number.

"I miss you," he said when I answered.

"Gunner, we are over! Lake told me you tried to jump him. What has gotten into you?"

"I was desperate, babe. Jason put the idea in my head, and I should have shut it down. I'm so sorry, " he replied. "I just miss you. I know I wasn't the best boyfriend in the world, but I want another chance."

"Gunner, I don't feel the same way anymore."

Silence.

"I love you, Emani."

Ugh, he's making this harder.

"Gunner, I'm with Lake now. It's not appropriate for you to call me anymore, " I said before hanging up.

**

I changed into my gym clothes with Sasha standing next to me. Gym was the last period of the day, and I hated it. Besides playing tennis, I wasn't an athletic person and sucked at most sports.

As I tied up my shoes, the door to the locker room opened. I heard footsteps and realized someone else was in here with us. I covered my naked chest as Gunner came into view. Why the hell is he in the girl's locker room?

"Gunner, what the hell?" Sasha demanded. "We are changing."

Gunner ignored her. "Emani, I thought you were alone." He peered down at Sasha. "Can you give us a minute?"

Sasha folded her arms. "Emani, do you want me to go?"

I waved her off. "I'll be fine." Sasha reluctantly left, and I focused on Gunner. "What?"

Instead of responding, Gunner wrapped his muscular arms around my waist and stepped between my legs. "You can't give up on us, Emani. We belong together. Why don't you see that?"

"Gunner, you're making me uncomfortable, " I whispered, taking a step back. "I'm with Lake now, and I wish you would accept it."

He caressed my chin. "Why are you acting like you're afraid of me. I would never hurt you, Emani."

I pushed him away, anger rising within me. "I'm going to be late for P.E."

He had a twisted smile on his face. "You don't even like gym Emani."

He had me there. "So."

"Just meet me at that little coffee shop around the corner." He leaned closer and planted a light kiss on my forehead. "If you don't meet me, then I will leave you alone."

I reminded myself of how he treated Lake, and I shook my head. "I'm not meeting you, Gunner. Before, I wanted us to be friends, but now I can't stand the sight of you."

He knew I was serious, and his shoulders sagged in defeat. Gunner and I were a thing of the past, and I planned to keep it that way. I'm not going to let him manipulate me into taking him back. Granted, he was my first boyfriend, and he'll always have a place in my heart, but I've changed.

He left the locker room without another word, and I checked my reflection in the mirror. My eyes had bags under them, and I felt exhausted. I had gained a few pounds over the weeks, not bothering to eat proper foods. I didn't look like the happy, popular Emani. Despite my best intentions, I felt insecure and unsure of everything. I was in a dark place and wasn't sure how to pull myself out.

Sasha returned. "Emani, are you ok? Did Gunner do something to you?"

I let out a sob, and the tears flowed down my face. "Why is my life such a mess, Sasha? Between Gunner and my uncle, it's just been so hard."

Sasha didn't say anything. She opened her arms, and I cried like a baby on her shoulder. I had been holding so much in for years, and I finally reached my breaking point.

********************************************
Ok, so Emani was very emotional in this chapter. She's still adjusting to the changes in her life, and it's going to take time. How do you feel about Gunner trying to win her back? Let me know! See you next chapter ✨