XI - Versailles

Taehyung thrives in attention. That much is evident based on how happy he looks mingling among his gang members. They are all too eager to indulge him, people swarming around him like bees in a hive.

YN's husband abandoned her almost as soon as they walked into yet another grand ballroom, immediately striking up a conversation with some stiff-necked older man.

YN does not mind in the slightest. The less time Taehyung spends around her, the better. But still, it is a little awkward. YN doesn't know what to do or if she should do anything at all. Taehyung told her not to embarrass her and considering that he decided not to kill her even though he doesn't need her anymore, she's going to try her best to be as unproblematic and unnoticed as possible.

But there doesn't seem to be much luck in that department. YN can feel the heated glances in her direction no matter how much she tries to ignore them. It makes her incredibly self-conscious. YN stands just a bit straighter and rolls her shoulders back some, ignoring the way the movement makes her body ache.

Are these people judging her? Are they angry with her? Do they think she's a tool that can be used to get to Taehyung?

The possibilities are absolutely endless and none of them are good.

YN plays with her hands nervously, tangling and untangling her fingers as she meanders through the large room, trying not to catch anyone's attention or bump into anyone. The size of the room makes it plenty easy to move freely, even when everyone is wearing formal wear. Women wear a variety of dresses, some so revealing that they're barely more than a scrap of fabric and other so grand that they look like they've just stepped right out of a fairytale. Most of the men wear fancy suits, but some of them look as grand as the women, wearing clothes that look like something out of a history book. 

But not a single person other than Taehyung and YN are wearing red. It makes them stick out. She couldn't be ignored even if everyone else was trying.

Not knowing anyone makes YN incredibly anxious. She's never been a particularly sociable person, but before her life was completely flipped upside down, her anonymity was a comfortable blanket she could hide under. Now she feels like she's been rubbed down with blood and shoved naked in front of a hungry pack of wolves.

YN's very worst fear is realized when a strange man she hasn't seen before breaks away from the crowd and walks up to her, confidence eluding with every step he takes. The low rumble of whispers dies down immediately as everyone turns to watch him approach her. YN doesn't know what to do. Should she speak with him? Should she reject his advances? What should she even say? What was the backstory Taehyung had come up with again?

YN starts to sweat, the fancy fabric of her dress sticking to her skin. The stranger is upon her before she can decide whether she should flee or not.

"Hello, Madame," the man says, taking her hand in his and placing a kiss on her wrist.

What is this, the 1800s?!

"Hello," YN replies, proud that her voice comes off a lot stronger than she feels right now.

"I was wondering if you'd do me the pleasure of dancing with me."

The man has a heavy accent, something YN has never heard before. YN hesitates, unsure. Her gaze flips up into the crowd and she spots Taehyung who nods at her briefly.

"I'd be honored," YN says, even though she doesn't know how to dance or who this man is.

He smiles at her and it has much too many teeth to be normal. He reminds her a lot of a ringmaster from a carnival, like he's putting on a show. He's wearing black leather gloves and a royal blue dress coat that just further makes YN think of him as a ringmaster.