Chapter Three. Ren (3.1)

11th of September

Many people found the excitement around The Great Games quite impressive, even unique in its way. And such a conclusion was probably made by all those few who encountered Felicia's residents today — on the new season-opening — for the first time. There were so many emotions: adrenaline was merely seething in every fan's heart. And all this agiotage seemed to have no end. Still, several things remained unclear. Where did this agiotage come from? Why were people in the city so waiting for The Great Games? Finally, what was the meaning of all this action, which caused such an evident heat of the audience? And the answers actually were on the surface from the outset.

Over the past ten years, the capital hasn't known more large-scale event than The Great Games. And this was understandable because The Great Games was not just a competition; it included many exciting developments. In general terms, it was indeed a spectacular phenomenon, racy and, at the same time, insanely beautiful. Nevertheless, The Great Games bribed the audience not only by the measure of the competitions but by the realism, liveliness, and emotional fullness of each season's episode. The organizers wanted to show people that their tournament was participated by no nameless mage-athletes but real-living people. All of them had their characters; all of them had their own stories, unique feelings. For this, they came up with a reality show; this, in fact, was the main highlight of The Great Games, which gave such a stormy excitement among the fans. It was a real competition, not built on simulated entertainment. It was an infrequent, and therefore very bright, unforgettable event.

Ren Fayman, a guy from the Holy Trinity of The Great Games, a regular participant in competitions for a year now, was also a part of this event. Many knew Ren as the famous winner of the previous season. Still, he was an ordinary young man, differing from the rest only by a big-name.

And now, standing on one of the most distant balconies of the Ophrys' arena, Ren was silent, and, in this silence, he watched the next unusual scene. A whole crowd of people who wanted to acquire the same big-name as his, at that moment, literally swarmed downstairs on the first floor. They were trying to break into the arena to try their luck at the qualifying tests. Watching them with a smile, Ren recalled how a year ago he was standing somewhere down there in the same way. At that time, only one thought was lying like a stone in his head: "Wish I could pass at least the first stage of The Great Games, not just lose at the beginning." Curiously, how many people did have the same feelings now, worrying about the first test? Besides, wonder which of these people in the future would be able to achieve the same success that Ren has achieved in his time? Couldn't wait to find out.

"So, what the herd of sheep? They ram and cram. What are they only counting on?" was heard from somewhere on the side.

Turning to the voice, Ren met Mike Garvin, another regular player of The Great Games. As the oldest of the trio, having played four full seasons, Mike couldn't stand newcomers. And Ren surely understood that. For four years in a row to observe the same phenomenon — a crowd of amateurs who imagined themselves to be heroes — was torturing. Nevertheless, such conclusions did not justify Mike's rudeness. Therefore, Ren tactically kept silent on his "colleague's" statements. In response, he only rolled his eyes sarcastically, provoking but without excessive effort. However, this was enough for the explosion's sorcerer. With a ridiculous frown pursing his lips, Mike parodied Ren's ever-serious expression, and then added, "By the way, this is how you look now, Fayman. Stop thinking a lot. It doesn't suit you."

"If you envy, envy in silence, Garvin. But whatever..."

"Well, that's it, boys, don't quarrel..." suddenly Acey, who also spent time with guys on the balcony in an attempt to hide from the annoying crowd of newcomers, interjected in the conversation. "Well, honestly. You are like some old married couple; you just go fighting right away. By golly, the sand is already pouring from both of you. Now, stop it."