54. The Iron Door

Jaqueline watched as the guards in the tunnel rushed towards the group of escapees. Aaron's sword still extended, the others went on the other side of her, awaiting her to engage them. She glanced down at the man who was filled with such hate, tears welling again in her eyes, this time of sadness and most importantly... rage.

A cry emanated and grew as she charged forward to the group of three guards. She swung Aaron's sword, meeting another's blade. She then retracted and threw another blow again being blocked in the shape of an ex. Anger then welled further within her, another yell releasing from her chest. She felt adrenaline rush through her veins, her speed increasing. She then recoiled her sword, dodging the guard's pathetic attack, then swiping her blade sideways into his exposed skin. He stumbled backwards as she thrust the blade forward to another man, hitting only armor. He backed up a couple steps, giving Jaqueline enough time to stab between the injured guard's breastplate and helmet. He then crumpled to the floor as she retracted her weapon only to charge forward again.

The guard whose armor she hit came back with ferocity, swinging his sword around without much thought, yet strongly. Jaqueline had to continue backing up until she felt the cold coarseness of the wall on her spine. As he came closer to her, she dropped under the line of fire, lunged forward, then impaled his slightly exposed side. He cried out in pain as she retracted her blade again as she attempted to get to her feet before falling on her butt as the last guard brought his sword down on her. She blocked just inches from her face before the freed prisoners rushed him, bringing him to the ground also. Jaqueline then finished the job, her heaving breaths and her heartbeat all she could hear of the commotion.

William, Sasha and Ward grabbed the guards' swords as well the few sets of keys. "Alright, let's get out of here," Sasha said, eyeing the opening at the end of the tunnel.

"No," William said, "we need to get the rest first."

"What? We can't fight all of the guards in there," she pointed to the other end at the large iron door which now remained closed. "Another watch won't come up for a few hours now. That gives us all a long head start."

"Maybe so, but that doesn't mean it is alright to leave the rest of the prisoners here," Ward said.

"What about those who don't have swords or can't fight?" Everyone began speaking over each other. They weren't exactly on a high carb, high protein or high fat diet in that prison.

"We can have someone get them out now," Jaqueline said. Everyone stopped and stared as she spoke, listening intently. She paused for a moment in discomfort, then remembered the issue was pressed for time. "Sage Ward," she addressed, "take the sick and elderly and head out. You know the area around here, so you can hide them away in safety. Make sure to avoid the watchtowers if you can. If not, stay close to the walls until we come out. Everyone else, please, stay with us to get the rest of the prisoners out. My friends... they're in here because of me. I have to get them back. I need them."

"Escape! Escape," Aaron started yelling from the floor, barely able to maintain a volume above speaking level, let alone alert the others beyond the iron door.

William then kicked him. "Quiet, sycophant."

Sasha looked at Jaqueline, then at William, then Ward and the others. "Alright. I'll help."

"Me too," said several others. There were at least a dozen in total.

Ward nodded, then walked up to Jaqueline, his wooden leg causing his footsteps to echo. "Jaqueline, I wish you luck. I believe you can defeat the dragon. You have something that I never had. You have guts."