Courage

Courage

The child stood at the edge of the forest. The forest before her was dark; the trees were close to one another. An old path had been laid that cut through the forest; it was old, moss-covered, and roots had broken it in various spots. The tops of the trees formed a canopy. The sunlight was choked by the canopy of the trees. Shadows pooled around each tree like ponds of darkness.
The emotions the child felt should have been those of fear and timidity; instead she felt a sense of curiosity and courage. She had known only her family's farm all her life; she had never ventured beyond the corn rows or the safety of her Pa's white fence. She had climbed the fence, walked towards the mystifying forest, and left her fears behind.
She stepped into the forest with both a sense of trepidation and a sense of courage. She treaded lightly yet boldly. Her heart beat with excitement like thunder within her. The child grabbed a straight stick and held it aloft, an ersatz weapon to combat imagined foes.
As she ventured further in, the forest began to dip. The path descended and the trees followed it. The trees stood straight as the land bowed beneath her. She thought about stepping further but instead she turned back. It was already an adventure, but the sun began to fall and night crept closer. She turned, walked back through the tree line, and hopped over Pa's white fence, all the while smiling. Courage and bravery had been planted in her mind and in her heart. She knew that, when next she came upon the descending parts of the forest, she'd have nothing to fear.