Chapter 11

Night's P.O.V.

Jessy's seat was empty at school. Never again would she bound over and start chittering happily. It was a little empty, but really, she had it coming.

In the hallways, I saw them again. The meatheads. The three of them swaggered up and tried to block my way. "Hey, where's your little friend?" The leader sneered.

"Dead. As you will be if you don't get lost and stay there." I pushed my way past them. Their mouths dropped open. I could tell what they were all thinking- 'You're kidding, right?' Too bad. I was deadly serious. Jessy was a little busy laying in a grave at the moment.

At lunch, a girl sauntered up to me. Her eyes were green and the tips of her brown hair were dyed a vibrant green as well. She sported a red sweater and bright green pants to match. She looked like a walking Christmas tree.

She grinned. "Hi! Can I sit here?"

I really didn't care who sat next to me. A tree? No difference. I shrugged in response.

"Do you wanna be friends?" She exclaimed. I raised my eyebrows. That was a little sudden, don't you think? Asking to be friends out of the blue. I didn't even know her name.

"Sorry if this is a little strange, but I- I really like you! Like I think you're really cool. Like, you're very awesome!" She rambled. "My name is Helen. Nice to meet you!" Giggling, she stuck out her hand.

I didn't shake it. Secretly, I was flattered from her mindless praise, but I didn't show it.

The next day, Helen stuck to me like glue. "Hey, do you want to go somewhere maybe? Like on a trip? Just the two of us?" She finally asked at the end of the day.

She reminded me of Jessy. Asking me to go somewhere. Then betraying me. Anger coursed through my head and I snarled. A wordless growl. Helen stepped back with a gasp.

"No." I swallowed back my anger.

"Why not?" She said, scrunching up her eyebrows.

"Cause I said so." I snapped. I didn't trust her any more than I trusted Jessy. Anyone could betray me.

"Fine." She crossed her arms, narrowing her eyes.

Something was off with her. I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

As I walked from school, I felt nothing new. No matter what humans think, they can't actually feel themselves being watched. It's either their imagination or they know they're being watched but they're refusing to accept it.

Something in the trees glittered and caught my eye. Usually, trees don't gleam. At least I don't think they do.

I walked forward to investigate. Me and my impulsiveness, huh?

Bright green caught my eye. What do you know. It was that Helen girl. She was sitting beside a tree, holding something that flashed.

She saw me. But then, I wanted her to. I felt power from the object. Power a mere human didn't have.

Before I could even react to the fact that there was a monster sitting in front of me, she flung the shining orb towards me. I dodged reflexively. It exploded behind me in a flash of blinding light. I covered my eyes.

Blinking when someone throws a glittery bomb at you is called good reflexes. You have no idea what it can do. Who knows? Maybe it's to blind you. If you keep your eyes wide open, boom, a second later you can't see.

As the throbbing light died, I had already drawn my knives. So when I opened my eyes, I was ready for Helen, who was leaping towards me. My knife caught her arm and she yelped, dodging back. I wasn't in a forest anymore. Instead, a damp cave surrounded me. No, not only stone, also green. Bright green. Green like Helen's sweater.