Chapter 16

Frygil's P.O.V.

"Are you sure she's still sane?" I asked Drakul nervously. I meant it.

Drakul laughed nonchalantly. "She isn't. But she lost it years ago." His rough voice bounced off the stone walls. He seemed totally fine with the fact that we were about to meet a crazy psychopath with insane killing skills. Up close and personal.

"But what if she kills us? Didn't she suck that guard dry the other day..." I was still unconvinced about our safety.

Drakul's piercing yellow eyes met mine. "There'll be chains. Don't worry. Plus, that guard was just stupid enough to get close enough."

"But we'll be even closer than he was."

Drakul's scaly talon reached out to pat my head. "Really, don't worry. Everything will be fine. Plus, she's weak right now."

Finally, we reached the bottom of the stairs. And I saw her. Bloody and chained to the wall, her dark eyes met me warily. She looked calm, despite being ragged and unruly.

Drakul rubbed his hands together. "Hear she's hard to break. This should be fun." He showed his fangs and hissed, snake-style.

I shuffled uncomfortably as we entered the cell. Drakul enthusiastic and I, uneasy. She scared me. Her vibe was dark and dangerous. The air around her seemed to be darker than the other parts of the cell.

Oh wait, it probably is. She has magic, doesn't she?

Either way, dangerous or not, it felt wrong to have her chained there. I didn't even know her, but I felt horrible to be doing this to anyone.

"Well, Night, do you agree to give up your magic?" My brother grinned.

"Never." Night spat.

Drakul's smile stretched wider and be hefted the electrifier.

"Just watch, alright? You don't need to do anything unless you want to." He whispered to me kindly. Then he turned his gaze to Night.

I couldn't look She didn't make a sound, but I could see her clenching her teeth. Drakul had completely transform from the generous, loving brother I knew into something else entirely.

I never came along when Drakul did his... job.

Which was torturing others.

This was the first time for me.

Don't get him wrong. Drakul isn't a bad snake. He isn't really evil. He's just... really sadistic. But really, he's very nice if you get to know him.

I don't approve of his sadism. I can't understand why he likes hurting other people. But everyone's different. I can't judge him. I try to see from his angle, like he taught me. Always step in someone's shoes before you judge. That's his motto.

While working, he completely transforms. His kindness disappears, replaced by cruelty.

Finally, Night groaned, her eyes rolling back to her head and snapping me from my thoughts. Drakul stepped back, apparently in awe. "Wow." He muttered. "That was ninety-one electric shocks. Impressive."

He eyed her like she was some interesting science experiment. Which she probably was, to him.

"I wonder if it's because she has no heart. Or just because she's stronger than an average human." Drakul mused. He threw his head back with a crazy cackle. "What I really want to know is how many it will take to kill her." He chuckled.

I listened on in horror. His eyes had lit up like someone had offered him immortality or something.

I guess if my brother was happy, I should be happy for him. But why did I feel bad instead?