four | 平衡

AT FIFTEEN, JUN THINKS HE KNOWS HOW TO BALANCE.

The hamper sitting atop his knee tilts dangerously as the train grinds to a halt, but he's able to grab onto it just before its contents fall. It's no wonder it's trying to - it's a Chinese New Year hamper, and as is the custom, it's stuffed to the brim with goodies.

The doors slide open. "Stevens."

Jun glances outside and settles further into his seat. The train is empty today. It's the first day of Chinese New Year, and most people are already home, celebrating with their families. It's a stark contrast to the usual bustle of the MRT, where you'll be lucky if you can even find a spot to stand.

As the train speeds off again, he stares outside the window at the trees whizzing by. Chinese New Year will be different this year, has been different ever since he started going to Hwa Chong. An increasing amount of work means he really only has yesterday and today off. He's eaten dinner with his parents and grandparents yesterday, and today, they're travelling around, visiting relatives.

He thinks of that. How the aunts used to ruffle his hair and say, Jun, how you've grown. How the uncles would grin and say, How's school going? Top of your class as usual? Though it got annoying, he finds himself missing it, missing the careless, quiet concern that comes with being in a family.

"Newton."

Jun gets off the subway. His surroundings are familiar - his grandparents used to live here - and his feet guide him to the North-South line, which he'll be taking towards his final destination. The hamper slides, uncertain. He clutches it tightly and tries to ignore the weird stares of passers-by.

The train is similarly empty, and he snags a seat near the door easily. Just as he's finished laying the hamper down, though, the girl next to him taps his shoulder. "Jun-ge?"

Ge. No one's called him that in years, not since Yen and her family moved away. He turns so quickly his neck cracks. "Yue?"

It is Yen's sister, and as he looks at her, he's struck by how similar they look. In a distant part of his memory, he remembers his mother telling him that Yue Li is in his school now. He nods at her. "Going home?"

"Yeah." Her gaze falls on the hamper he's hugged on reflex, and her gaze tilts, curious. "That looks familiar."

Pineapple tarts for Yen, arrowroot crisps for you, peanut cookies for Jia-Le, and a small Hong Kong nian gao, because that's your mother's favourite. Jun has never forgotten to deliver this, and this year is no exception. "It's for you, actually. Are you going home?"

"About that." Yen's sister swallows. "Can we talk?"

His eyes search her face, but then, too late, he realises she's not Yen, and her face is closed off. "Sure."

She stares straight ahead, hugging her knees to her chest. In the background, the train shakes as it moves across the tracks. "Remember that time in year four, when you got into trouble?"

It's the only time he ever got beaten. He remembers the teacher's office, staring at the white-washed walls. Do you know what you just did, Jun? The book, thrown on the table, open to his handwriting. Did you think I wouldn't find out? I don't care who you did it for. What you did was wrong.

He's not sure where she's going with this, but as always, he tells the truth. "Yes."

She nods. In her hands, she's clutching a Yakult bottle so hard, her hands are blending in with its white.

Years ago, Yen bet he wouldn't be able to drink Yakult faster than she could. And though he's tried for years - even to the extent of spending all his pocket money on packs of Yakult - he's never won.