Prolouge

No one knew what was in the air nor did they care what it was. Even though it lingered in the very air we breathed was death itself. It followed us, came in us and out, violated our health, slowly sucking out the little life we have had left, and doomed us to a set of horrifying days until we simply stopped. It only took us the depths of illness for us to realize what it was, by then it was too late.

This is what they all must have felt when they succumbed to it, the virus; having to watch all those poor people who had the misfortune of being a part of the stacks of the dead. It was kind of sad to think of all them, the young, the old, the weak, the strong, the ugly, and the beautiful. For it did not discriminate on who it killed, it just killed. The great equalizer in all deathbeds', it had no morals or no intentions in its bloodlust. It had no thought or pleasure in what it was doing. It just simply took life as if it was just a simple toy to be thrown away.

Just listen to me rant on about a dark topic. About 20 years or so, the virus came out of nowhere as if it seemed to have just popped out of nowhere. In its first months it was just a simple virus that no one really paid attention to. It was only when we concern ourselves with it when its infection aggressively expanded. People began panicking when half of every city was plagued with the virus. When quarantine zones became cities of their own. It just chose its own time to cause major panic when the death toll began to come in.

People who were infected began to die in massive numbers worldwide. Bodies began to fill up in mountains of corpses. When we couldn't bury them, we began to burn their bodies by the pounds. It soon became too smoggy for people to breath in it. We didn't come to realize that it only helped it the spreading of the virus.

The virus itself was extra ordinary unique to the rest of its brothers in the virus family. Its sole purpose was to expand and adapt as quickly as possible. It was first spread by contact, and then it was soon spread by air, body fluids, animals, many other means. The virus was an evolving specimen of its own kind. A remarkable piece of death.

We tried countless times effortlessly to create a cure to this deadly pathogen. Sadly they all had no effect on stopping the virus or they help it accelerating in its spread and its lethal capabilities. What troubled me was as if it seemed to have piggy back on the cures that helped its acceleration. A virus that seemed to have never stopped amazing us as it grew rapidly. It even found a way to piggy back on the smog of the smoke from the burning of the bodies. Hell it even contaminated the water supply as it grew.

In the end, we never found a cure to the fatal virus. When the mass killing was over, 95% of the world's population died. In a sense, the virus eventually killed itself off. Which I found disturbingly ironic though we at least survived the onslaught. Mostly the younger generation is what is left of the survivors. In a desperate attempt to establish order we came to the proposition of establishing the Capitol Providence. In order to find a source of land to help maintain the surviving population was tricky since there were so many options. Which lead to the heartlands of North America for the home of the Capitol Providence.

I found it awe-inspiring to see the youth come to such decisions. It brings some hope for our species future. What I found amazing among the youngsters that they kept order and that many of them worldwide came to this Capitol Providence.

I was glad that I didn't die of the virus itself. But it saddens me that I'm dying something to close to it. I became another victim of cancer. They tried to help me but I rejected. Since I had so little time left here on this Earth. I figured they needed the medical supplies more than me. I will not write my name down for moral purposes that you will never understand. Just know that no matter how dark it gets, there will be light in the most darkest of places.

-A piece of paper written from the last survivor of the cure project