Chapter Sixteen

Two hours later, Fin called with some news. "El, John found a private doctor on the Upper East Side who treated three of the party guests. He treated them for Rohypnol ingestion and took blood early enough to pick it up in their systems. All three guests said they started feeling woozy after drinking the wine that was being served. Doc's sending the blood samples to Warner as we speak."

"What about the delivery man? Anyone got a lead on him?" Elliot was standing at the kitchen counter while Avery put the tea kettle on the stove and started a pot of coffee for him.

"Peter Ruiz, thirty-eight." Elliot could tell that Fin was reading off of a notepad. "He doesn't have a rap sheet and has been working for the same company for twenty years. He's only missed one day of work in the last five years. Two months ago he called out of work after his apartment was robbed. One of the things he reported stolen was – "

"His work uniform," Elliot finished for him. The once-promising lead was a dead end.

"Yeah," Fin confirmed. "I'm about to head over to his building and see if they have any security footage of the robbery but I ain't holdin' my breath."

"Alright, man, just keep me up to speed." Elliot hung up the phone just as Avery set a hot cup of coffee in front of him.

"That didn't sound like great news," Avery commented as he hurried to take the now whistling tea kettle off the burner before it woke a napping Sadie.

"Well, it wasn't bad news," he was quick to assure her. "Munch found Pete. Turns out he was robbed two months ago and his uniform was stolen." He took a sip of his coffee. "Tell me, baby, how is it that you can't cook to save your life but you make the best cup of coffee that I've ever tasted?"

Avery chuckled. "My dad's a coffee importer and owns a chain of high-end coffee shops," she reminded him.

Sonny Corinthos was also an excellent cook but Elliot didn't point out how that gene had skipped his daughter. Instead, he pulled her into his arm and kissed her neck.

"Since Pete was no help, does that mean that we're back to square one?" Avery leaned back against him.

Elliot sat on one of the kitchen stools and pulled her with him to sit on his lap. "No, not square one. Fin found a doctor who has blood samples proving that the guests at your party were dosed with Rohypnol."

"Isn't Rohypnol known as the date-rape drug," Avery asked.

"One of them," Elliot nodded. "It's good at knocking people out and blacking out memories," he shared what he knew.

Avery's cell phone vibrated on the counter and she picked it up. "Oh no," she said as she looked at the screen.

"What's wrong?" Elliot tensed.

"My dad's on his way over because he wants to check up on me."

At that moment, a knock came on the apartment door.

Avery shook her head. "There's no way that's my dad. That was way too quick."