One

"Are you sure we haven't forgotten anything?" My mother asks me, for the 50th time, as she hastily packs the trunk of our family SUV. As Mom swarms, Dad is sitting casually on the front porch, newspaper and coffee in hand.

"Don't think so," I reply, reaching down to help her pick up the final cooler. As I'm making a mental checklist, I hear quick footsteps and the sound of wheels riding along the driveway. I turn to see Eden jogging with her over-packed suitcase dragging behind her.

"Oh, I guess we almost forgot Eden," I smirk as my older sister rolls her eyes.

"Eden! I told you to pack light!" Mom scowls as Eden struggles to lift her bag into the trunk and shove it in between all the other stuff.

"Mom, we're going to be gone for four months. I'm going to need something to wear!" my sister counters, hands on her hips as she tries to catch her breath. Mom scoffs and retreats back into the house to make sure nothing, and no one, is left behind.

"Are you ready for the wildest summer of our lives?!" Eden turns to me with the widest smile spread across her face. I can't help but smile at her excitement, she's been waiting for our annual lake-getaway since the day we got home from the cabin last year.

"Well duh, but I don't know if it'll be our wildest," I answer, not wanting to dampen her excitement with my looming sadness. This last week has been rough.

"Just because you've had a shitty week, it doesn't mean your summer should be shitty too!" Eden grabs my hand and drags me up the porch and into the kitchen. As I hesitantly follow her to the island in the middle of our kitchen, she sternly orders for me to close my eyes. I do so while questioning her weird behaviour.

"We are going to enjoy this summer, El. We're gonna have fun and forget about stupid boys and just celebrate being happy! I was going to wait until your birthday, but I think you need a little pick me up now. Open your eyes!" She squeals at the end of her pep talk. I open my eyes and I take in the items sitting in front of me. It's a woven basket filled with candies, snacks and a bottle of wine.

"Oh Eden, this is so nice, I love it!" I reach to my sister and wrap my arms around her shoulders, squeezing tightly. I'm so lucky to have a best friend who happens to be my sister. I don't know what I'd do without her.

"Ok, ok, you gotta let me breathe, El," Eden dramatically chokes and flails her arms. I laugh and let go, grabbing the basket and heading back outside, where I hear Mom and Dad bickering. Ah, the typical Zimmerman annual summer vacation. Starting off just right.

Dad buckles into the driver's seat after forcing the trunk to close, and Mom settles into the front passenger side after triple checking if Eden and I had enough water and snacks in the back. Once we reassured her, we hopped into the back and the whole family was set to go. As we back out out of the driveway, Mom turns around to face me.

"Honey, this summer is going to be good for you. Just relax, and don't think about M-" my mom tries to reassure me, but Eden interrupts her, "seriously Mom? That name is banned in our family. I suggest we never speak of him again, and El will finally be able to enjoy some goddamn peace and quiet."

Mom presses her lips into a thin line, about to scold Eden's use of language, but she also knows Eden is right. With everything that's been going on, this is finally a summer for me to enjoy some well deserved, goddamn peace and quiet.