Chapter #1

Dear Mrs. Parker

Oh how I wish you’d notice me. That you would not see me as just another student but someone who could make you really happy.

I know you’re married, I’ve seen the wedding band on your finger since the first day you walked into my life. That day changed my life and for the first time ever I felt so drawn to another person that it almost overwhelmed me. The ring on your finger didn’t change my feelings, it just made me contain them. I can’t tell you how I feel, that would be inappropriate and would probably change the way you see me. Yet I’d rather have you seeing me as someone who adores you than someone who just attends your classes.

Oh Mrs. Parker, if only you would see how much you mean to me. If only I would have the courage to tell you. But I’m just a mere girl and you’re such an amazing woman.

Yours truly, Karla Lewis.

_____________________________________________________________________________

 “I told you not to go through my stuff again!” His hand hits the back of my head, being so forceful it makes me stumble forwards.

 “I was just-“  I’m not able to finish my sentence before the next blow comes, this time it’s a fist hitting my stomach.

 I know there’s no point in fighting back, they would all come at me then. I know because it has happened many times before. Even though my adoptive brother is 3 years younger than me he’s still taller, maybe 7 inches, and so are the rest of the family. It’s clear I don’t belong here. They make sure to tell me as often as they can.

 Before I can react the last blow comes, this time it’s in the shape of a kick to my leg. The pain makes me fall down to my knees and I feel a tear leave the corner of my eye. Not wanting to give him the pleasure of seeing me cry, I don’t look up at him until he turns around and leaves the room. As the door slams behind him I wipe my now wet cheek and attempt to stand back up. My entire body is aching and I only manage to get to my bed before I collapse again. He knows exactly where to hit, he’s seen his father do it so many times before and has now learned all the spots.

 I bring out one of my folders, the one where I hide my letters. You see I have the most amazing English teacher but I can’t really tell her how I feel. Mrs. Parker is a married woman and as I said, my teacher. It would be highly inappropriate and I’m sure I wouldn’t come out of it alive if my family would find out. Therefore I write letters. I won’t send them, I just write.

 There’s one letter I haven’t finished yet, but instead I just crumble the paper and put it back in my bag. I don’t dare throwing it in the trash bin, I’m sure they would find it and I’m terrified of the consequences it would have.