Chapter #13

Dear Karla

I know this letter writing is more your thing but I have so much to say to you and I never seem to get it out when around you.

First off, I do love you. I think I’ve done so from the start but fear of losing my job and reputation has come in the way, making me bite my tongue and not think about my feelings. You’ve always been that student I’ve cared for a bit extra, the bruises you’ve had through the years has each time made me clench my jaw. You see you can tell me any story about how you fell or in general was clumsy and therefore got those bruises. But I’ve always known it wasn’t the truth.

Second, I will take you away from here. I will get you away from this town and your supposed parents. Give you a new start, one you’ll hopefully enjoy. Cause I love you and I hate seeing you like this, so torn down and sad. It kills me and I can’t wait to take at least some of your sadness away.

Dear Karla, when you’re reading this I am currently at home, telling Andrew that our marriage won’t work. Telling him I am moving on. Then I will be in my car, coming to pick you up and we can put this behind us and start again. Together.

Yours always, Jodi.

I was laying in my hospital bed crying. After reading Jodi’s letter my entire world had started spinning, I was sure it was from happiness though since I had never felt like this before. Now all I could do was wait for her to come through that door. Swooping me away from this, making all my dreams come true.

Every time someone entered the room my heart started racing, but I was disappointed each time. It was usually Susan who came in, asking if I needed anything.

When the door opened the last time I didn’t bother to look up, I just said a small no thanks. Thinking it was Susan again.

“Oh well if you don’t want to” I heard someone giggle.

As I looked up the excitement grew in me. In the doorway stood a smiling Jodi. I quickly sat up in the bed, knowing I would be able to leave this place now.

“I think we better get moving.” She said, her face suddenly being all serious.

“Why?” I asked but got up and put on some clothes that Susan had brought me when she noticed I had nothing to wear except those clothes I had had on when coming in.

“Andrew knows.” She said shortly.

She didn’t have to say more, I got it. He would go to my family and tell them about me and Jodi. The excitement I had felt went to a slight panic feeling and I quickly put my clothes on. My body was still sore but I had no time to go around worrying about that now.  They could come here, hell they could already be in the building if we were unfortunate enough.

Sometimes luck is on your side though. We left the hospital without seeing anything out of the ordinary.

“Wait won’t he find us if we go to your new house?” I asked when we were finally sitting in Jodi’s car.

“Yes, that’s why we’re not going there.” She replied as driving out of the hospital’s parking house.

“Were are we going then?”

“My parent’s left me a summer cabin right before they died, I never told Andrew about it cause I was afraid he would try and sell it.” She didn’t look at me when talking, just kept her attention stuck on the road.

“Oh okay…” I didn’t really know what else to say but didn’t want to sit in complete silence either.

We drove for what seemed to be forever. I eventually fell asleep, things like this could really make you tired.

I dreamt about finally starting over with Jodi, but not as teacher-student but as something more. Something beautiful.