Chapter 11

I woke up, rubbing my eyes remembering where I am. My mom was sitting next to me watching TV while my dad was on the sofa reading a book, one of his western novels. I felt something coming through.

"I have to go." I got up quickly, "He needs me."

I ran to the clinic, knowing exactly where he is. My parents followed.

"There she is!" Asher looked so happy to see me. He was sitting up on the clinic's hospital bed.

I hugged him and laid my head on his chest. He brushed my hair.

"I'm so glad you're okay." He whispered,"I didn't think it was going to work."

"I felt it, does that happen every time you use magic." it felt weird, like it takes a toll, it adds darkness, to the strigoi darkness lingering inside me.

My mom put her hand on my shoulder, "The first few days are going to feel weird, you can feel everything he feels, but he can't feel what you feel. The bond is one way. You'll start occasionally slipping into his head, seeing what he's doing, it's like you're in his body, but he still controls everything. You can learn how to control it but it takes time. It's like you can read each other's mind. The more he uses magic the more darkness will be created, the darkness can leak into you. And with killing strigoi, you will also be able to see ghosts, but when that comes we can charm jewelry so it can help you." Sometimes I forget my mom knows about all of this, she was bonded to my aunt Lissa, back when she was around my age, after being killed in a car accident. "I'll help you with everything, and if necessary we can go see Jill as she is still bonded to Adrian. And Asher, if you ever need to talk to anyone, we can always take you to talk to Lissa or Adrian."

"Thank you Miss Hathaway."

"Question, what do you use to control the darkness from the magic?" my mom asked him.

"What do you mean?"

"Like to numb the effects of spirit, Lissa used to take antidepressants, and Adrian smokes and drinks, whatever you do also affects Kat."

"I don't do any of that, I just try not to use magic, and when I do I drink." He answered that question so honestly, admitting he does drink, in front of the parents of the girl he likes.

It was just weird that I felt everything he felt, he was happy to see me well, I also felt like he needed to tell me something.

"Katerina," my dad stepped next to my mom,"Now that you are bonded with Asher, you are now ideally the best candidate to guard him."

"What about Alexei?" Thinking about guarding anyone who wasn't a huge pain in the ass like Alexei Dragomir is weird. I prepared my whole life to put up with him, now it just felt weird.

"He would obviously still have Malakai, and now there are talks about maybe Davina."

"No, definitely not, he needs someone good, I'll train them myself, but Alexei deserves better."

"There are also talks that Steve will take you place." my mom said.

"That's better than Davina." I rolled my eyes.

I felt a hint of jealousy burning through the bond, he didn't like the mention of Steve. There was still something there, he needed to tell me something.

"Hey guys, is it okay if I had some alone time with Asher please." I turned back asking my parents.

"Yes of course, we're going to go get some breakfast." my mom said as she grabbed my dad's arm dragging him out.

After they closed the door I looked back at him, "So what's up?"

"There's nothing wrong." He smiled, grabbing my hand.

"I know you want to tell me something."

"Right the bond." His smile disappeared, "I can't stay here Kat. Your parents already know, Steve does too. And he hates me, if this gets out my dad will kill me, you know he doesn't believe in this Kat, I don't know what to do."

I wanted to tell him everything was going to be fine and no one is going to hurt him as long as I'm here and leaving would be stupid, except I didn't.

"If you want to get out of here, then we'll find a way out."

Author's note: Thank you all so much for reading, if anyone is. I'm already planning on writing book two. Follow me on insta @lulu.fierro for updates, questions, comments, and concerns. I hoped you like it, part two would be much longer and not feel so rushed.