8: The Truth Is a Lie

Jax grabbed my wrist. "Tell me I'm dreaming," he said. "Tell me I'm not actually seeing this shit."

But Midnight was at the centre of the stage, moving her head in slow motion. She scanned the crowd; her face covered by her mask. As she hopped to the lower level, she sashayed through the aisles. "I know there's someone in this crowd who recognizes me. But will they show themselves, or would they rather hide? That is not my choice to make."

I dipped my head, staring at the floor when she passed. Out of my peripheral vision, I could still see Midnight walking. When she reached the top of the incline, she clapped her hands. The alarm system flicked on, loud and pulsating in my ears. Near the doors, Lily was pressed against the wall.

She winked at me, kicking the door wide open. Midnight whirled towards the sound. "What a shame. But no matter—we should get her, don't you think?"

Midnight pointed at the row of parents who had gathered at the back of the theatre. In unison, the adults nodded and took off after Lily.

"Give me your other hand," Jax whispered, his head pivoting to make sure Midnight couldn't see us.

I held out both hands. Jax closed his eyes. The darkness around him turned into a brighter shade of purple, expanding into an oval that bent across the floor. Tilting his body towards the floor, Jax pulled me through the gap.

All the sounds in the room transformed into a distant whistle. Instead of hitting the floor, my shoes sank into the abyss Jax created. Darkness overtook my vision, followed by the flooding of light. My legs impacted with the linoleum first, and I tripped.

The floors wobbled. I could faintly make out the rows of yellow lockers in front of me, but the hallway was bleeding colour, as if the paint was made of water. The dots of sunshine dripped into the cerulean on the sparkling tile floors.

I focused on my hands, using my palms as a tether. I crawled a few steps forward, blinking repeatedly.

"Here," said Jax, shoving a can of apple juice into my hands. "You have to get some sugar. You're just a little lightheaded, right?"

I nodded in affirmation, watching him open his locker. He tossed a change of clothes on the floor and grabbed his suit from underneath a stack of papers. "Do you have your—"

"No." I sipped on the juice. My suit was heavy, and if I brought it to school with me every day, I'd have no space left for my books.

Jax pointed to the stack of clothes. "Then wear my backup outfit."

I groaned, finishing my drink before picking up the shirt he'd set aside. It was a bandanna from the gymnasium and a red and purple t-shirt. I slipped it over my clothes and pulled my hair back, keeping it away from my eyes. Next to me, Jax looked much more professional, but what mattered was that neither of us was recognized.

A loud crash echoed across the hall. I darted across the floor, locating Midnight and Lily. The villain stood in the middle of the scene, her hands unfurled and ready. On the other side, Lily crouched under a fallen desk, lobbing a book at Midnight's head.

"You are a child," Midnight said, directing her voice through the space. It reminded me faintly of something Phantom had said, a long time ago. "Do you understand me? Where are your powers? What happened to standing up to evil?"