3. Introductions Part II

After lab, I head to one of the dining halls on campus to meet up with Chase and some of our teammates. It doesn't take long for me to find them after filling up my tray and paying, spotting them sitting smack dab in the middle of the dining area, causing a ruckus.

"Aye! Look who finally decided to roll their ass out of bed." Chase greets me with a grin on his face, prompting other members of the team to holler and give me a hard time as I sit down.

"Shut up," I say, picking a fry off my plate and throwing it at Chase, hitting him in the chest.

"Seriously, if I didn't see you at football practice I would've thought you were dead the past few days. You sleep like a rock, dude," he comments before picking up the fry I threw at him, eating it.

"Well yeah, it's tiring carrying all of your asses out on the field," I comment, earning a bunch of ohhhs and burns.

Chase shakes his head. "Whatever."

A well-manicured hand with black nail polish lands right next to my tray, causing the table to go silent. I look up to see Adrianna, her other manicured hand resting on her hip as she looks down at me.

"Bronx," she says my name in that tone that makes me dread this conversation already.

"Adrianna."

Her eyes narrow and her lips tug up into a closed lipped smile. "You didn't want to be my partner?" she asks in a sickening sweet voice that tells me she's actually pissed.

I shrug, taking a bite of my sandwich. "Your table was already full." 

She lifts her hand from the table, crossing her arms and choosing to shift her weight onto one hip. "Nessa was going to move so you could have her spot."

"Didn't look like it," I comment, continuing to eat my lunch. If I remember correctly, none of the girls at her table looked willing to switch tables. "Don't worry about it, Ads. I like the partner I got."

She scowls. "You're at a table full of nerds."

"More chance of passing the class, I guess."

Fed up with me and my curt answers, Adrianna lets out a low sound crossed between a groan and a growl before stomping off, making a show of swinging her hips all the way to the door. She's just mad she couldn't snag me as her partner, trapping me for an entire semester. That and the fact that I left her low and wet after our little late night rendezvous in the showers over the weekend and haven't talked to her since.

"You didn't want to be her partner?" Chase asks with slight amusement in his voice. He already knows the answer to his question, knowing my dynamic with Adrianna.

"Nope," I say simply, opening my water bottle and taking a drink.

"Ouch, harsh," Brennen comments, not sounding too sincere. "Who's your partner then? Some random nerd?"

"Nah. Her name is Olivia McCausland," I say.

"Olivia?" I hear JC's voice pipe up, and I look down the table a few seats to see him leaned in, looking at me. "Did you say Olivia McCausland?"

"Yeah," I say slowly.

A wide, fond grin spreads across his face, and he lifts the black baseball cap off his buzzed head, turning it backwards so I can see his dark brown eyes clearly. "Dude, Olivia's awesome! I had her as my physics lab partner last year, and she's so fucking smart. Get this, the TA for that lab was a total dick. He made the lab way harder than necessary, but Olivia breezed right through it. She didn't let me slack off either. Just when I thought she'd be the type to do all the work and ask me to say the hell out of her way, she actually sat there and explained the material to me by having me help her. She probably taught me more than the TA and teacher combined.