Chapter 4

The day before the banquet quickly arrived and with all the fun she was having with Agustin, Maya hardly put thought to how sudden that day came.

Now she wished she could turn back time.

She stood with her family dressed in a white blouse with a square neck line that came down as exposed some of her cleavage and a soft green skirt as the iron gates opened. The villagers bursted out in cheers and applause; a warm and cheerful welcome that Nether Pine always offered to other village chieftains upon visiting. Two men: one a fat butter ball with a shaggy beard and brown hair and the other man thin as a twig with white ghostly skin, strolled into the village and approached Harken.

“Harken, a joyous day this is,” said the fat butter ball. “Never have I been so happy for this moment!”

Harken chuckled. “Chief Voxnog, that joyous day is tomorrow evening.”

Realization came to Voxnog’s face. “Oh yes. Yes of course.” He laughed at himself. “Memory tends to fail me these days. Ah, Lady Mina. So beautiful like your mother.” He gave her a bow. “It’s a pleasure to see you again.”

Maya curtsy, “It’s Maya Sir, and the pleasure is mine. Thank you for coming,” she glanced at the white ghostly man, “and Chief Eldon, have you an illnesses? You look pale.”

Eldon waved his hand. “Don’t worry my dear, just a slight anemia. Edward, step forward my boy and greet her with respect.”

Edward, a tall boy with white blond hair that fell over his eyes, stepped forward. His eyes held annoyance. “She isn’t royalty you know.”

His father whacked him upside the head. “She’s the daughter of a respected friend of mine and who’s one of the finest warriors Nether Pine has seen. I’ve taught you better to treat a lady with the upmost respect.”

With a small sigh, Edward got down on one knee and took Maya’s hand in his. “It is a pleasure to see you again, Maya.” A small smirk came to his lips as he placed a kiss upon her hand that hid the action of his tongue flicking against her skin.

Maya bit her tongue and tried hard to keep a straight face—and to resist the urge of punching him. She quickly pulled her hand away as he stood.

“Ah yes, Horgan come here.” Voxnog waved his own son over. The five-foot-seven slender young man with chestnut hair stepped forward. His devilish brown eyes snuck several glances at Maya’s breast.

Inside, she wanted to slap him with a rock. On the outside, she curtsy lowly out of ill spite of making sure the arrogant boy in looking at her cleavage and that her brother would notice.

And Oliver did, and glared daggers at him. “Nice to see you, Horgan.”

Horgan smiled a cocky smile. “Oliver, so glad to see you. Ready to give your sister to me in marriage already?”

“Arrogant bastard.” Oliver muttered under his breath as he turned his head away for a moment and closed his eyes.“Oh, I don’t think that’s going to happen. It’s Maya’s choice after all. She may not pick you at all.”

Horgan stepped up to him. “We’ll see about that.” He glanced at Maya and whispered. “Even if she doesn’t, I’ll have my way. I always get my way.”

Suddenly Harken and the other chief bursted out laughing about something. “Oh, just like old time, eh Harken?” Eldon asked.

“Let’s go get a drink. We have much to catch up on.” Harken suggested. “Syria, how about your finest ale?”

Maya’s mother smiled. “You three are like teenagers all over again. Come on, this way to the house.”

The two chiefs beckoned their sons to follow and Maya gritted her teeth as they walked away. She quickly wiped her hand on her dress. “Idiots, the both of them.”