Chapter 5 - Meet the 'Rents; Trippin' at Trip's Turned Disaster?!

Saturday.

Naalimpungatan mula sa mahimbing na pagtulog si Aris nang biglang tumunog ng malakas ang cellphone niya. Kumunot ang noo niya. She lazily got up from her bed and reached for her phone below her pillow.

A number called. At alam na niya kung kanino galing 'yon. Humikab siya saka sinagot ang tawag.

"Good morning, sweetie!!" excited na saad ng nasa kabilang linya.

Agad na inilayo ni Aris ang tenga mula sa cellphone niya. She smiled. This is her mom. The total opposite of Ate Game.

Binalik niya agad ang cellphone sa tenga niya.

"Hello, mom," she said in a monotone voice.

"Did I wake you up?" tila apologetic ang tono na tanong ng nasa kabilang linya.

Umiling si Aris. "No. I just woke up." Dahil sa tawag mo.

Tila natuwa naman ang nasa kabilang linya.

"How are you? I've missed you!"

Aris rolled her eyeballs.

"Mom," she said in her cold, monotone voice. "You called two days ago. How am I supposed to answer that? I'm fine, I already told you that."

"Hmm?" tila nagdududang saad ulit ng nasa kabilang linya. "I'm just worried."

Her mom would always call her every two days. This is much better, unlike before when she would call her every six hours just to check how she's doing. Her mom, together with her dad were always on an overseas trip. She had no other choice but to understand them. Palagi na rin siyang sinasabihan ng mga ito na sumunod na sa kanila to which she easily declines. She loved staying here in the Philippines.

"Arisha, baby..."

"Hmm?" sagot naman ni Aris.

"I sent you a package. And I thought you're going to call me to tell me that you received it. Have you seen it already?"

Napakunot-noo si Aris. Lumakad siya patungo sa bintana at tumingin sa labas ng gate nila. May nakita siyang malaking box doon. She raised her eyebrows.

"Mom?"

"Yes?"

She sighed. "Mind to tell me whatever's inside the box?"

Narinig niyang tumawa ang mama niya.

"It's. A. Surprise."

"Hmm?"

"Arisha," biglang tawag ulit ng mama niya. "Don't ever forget that I'm your Mom. I know your favorites."

Aris sighed again. "Last two months you sent me a box full of dresses--"

"Why? Didn't you wear them during your school's activities? Or your club's ball? I already told you. I had them personally made by my favorite designers here!"

Malungkot na ngumiti si Aris. "Mom, I'm not a member of any club."

Tumahimik ang nasa kabilang linya.

"Aris, if only my schedule's not really tight, I definitely would go over there and sign you up to all of your school's clubs. It's time for you to find your own friend."

"T-Thanks, Mom," tanging sagot ni Aris upang matapos na ang usapan.

"Aris--"

"Mom," putol ni Aris.

"Yes?"

Tumingin si Aris sa paligid niya. They're there again. China, Maldives, Italy, Kenya, and the rest of the group. If only they're true people.