Bright//Part 3

Julie left later that night to convince her dad to let them stay in the house and not move away

Julie left later that night to convince her dad to let them stay in the house and not move away. It was pretty late but I still wasn't feeling tired yet so I went downstairs to grab a snack. I reached the bottom step and turned to go into the kitchen, jumping back a bit when I saw Luke staring into the open fridge, "Man, I don't think I'll ever get used to that", I muttered. I walked over to the fridge and stood behind him, "Do you guys even eat?", I asked as I noticed he stared longingly into the fridge.

He shook his head and sighed, "I just wanna see what you got", he said. I rolled my eyes, reaching around him to grab a jar of jelly and closing the door, "Hey!", he yelled as I walked over to the counter, "Do you know how long it took me to open that?", he yelled frustrated that I closed it on him. I shrugged, "Sorry, I don't believe in wasting power", I told him as I started making a sandwich. He nodded and walked over to stand by me, "Good. Because that's exactly what I wanted to talk to you about", he said. I looked at him confused, "Our power usage?", I asked him.

He shook his head, "No. The power that you and Julie have. Your voice, Julie's piano playing. Dude, you two together are like a wrecking ball", he said. I laughed a little, "Is this supposed to be some kind of pep talk?", I asked him. He rolled his eyes, "What I'm saying is that you have the power to move people. To knock them off their feet. And there is no way your teachers wouldn't let you guys back into school if they heard you play and sing like that", he said. I sighed and went back to making my sandwich, "We asked her and she said that we had to wait til next semester", I told him.

Luke scoffed and moved to sit on the counter, "That was your first mistake. Asking. Sunset Curve booked gigs by doing. We went into ambush mode. We played in front of clubs. We played in back of clubs. We even played book clubs", he said, causing me to look at him. I laughed a little, "Book clubs?", I asked him, not sure how well a rock band playing at a book club would go down. He smiled and laughed a little himself, "Yeah. We didn't get many gigs out of that one, but they did have some pretty gnarly snacks", he said making me roll my eyes. Clearly the only thing he thinks about is food.

"I'm just saying, don't ask for permission. Swing that wrecking ball of talent at your teacher's head, and smash those stupid rules right outta their brains", he yelled, swinging his legs around for emphasis. I turned to look at him, "This isn't a club, it's a school, and your plan sounds violent", I told him before going to the cabinet next to him and grabbing a glass. He stuck his head through the cabinet door to look at me, "It's a closed door, and you gotta bust it open", he said smiling, probably thinking I thought this going through stuff was funny, but it was really just weird.

I rolled my eyes and closed the cabinet before walking back over to the fridge, "Sorry. Once I start with the metaphors, I can't stop. I learned that in book club", he added, walking over behind me. I rolled my eyes, grabbing some milk and turned to walk back to the counter, "They're not just gonna let us back in", I said as I accidentally walked through him. I can honestly say that was the weirdest feeling I've ever felt. I turned back to look at Luke, who was just smiling at me, before just heading back to the counter and setting the milk down.