Bombshell Dinner

Summary: No, there were no actual bombs, but the way the dinner table seemed to erupt at the announcement of Steve and Natasha's marriage was enough to make someone think there had been.

This was going to be the day. It had to be. If they didn't tell the team today, Natasha was pretty sure she'd never get around to actually telling them. Of course, they could always just drop the subject casually into a conversation, but she felt like their friends deserved a little better than just "Surprise! We're married!" in the middle of a mission brief or a dinner party. Then again, that was essentially what they were doing by inviting the team over for dinner, but at least they would be the ones.

"Do you think Tony will throw something at me or Sam first?" Steve asked, disrupting Natasha's very focused reading of the meatloaf recipe. She didn't jump, but her heart flipped a little in surprise, something Steve must have known if the smirk on his face was anything to go by.

"Why would he throw something at Sam?"

Natasha straightened her back, not having been aware that she'd hunched over the recipe in an attempt to understand it. Steve had found his mother's old meatloaf recipe and while Natasha was determined to make it perfectly, there were Gaelic words thrown in here and there that kept throwing her off.

Steve shrugged.

"Sam's not one to let it slide if he knows something Tony doesn't," Steve replied. Natasha hummed in agreement and smiled as Steve walked up behind her and wrapped his arm around her waist. "How's the cooking going?" he asked.

Natasha scowled at him and slide the recipe over so he could take care of it.

"Your mother wrote some of it in Gaelic and for the life of me, I can't figure it out," she told him. She turned to look up at him and his arm tightened around her slightly.

"Trade, then?" he asked. Natasha nodded and slipped away to finish setting the dining room table and clean up the rest of the house.

The Gaelic didn't seem to phase Steve (just like she'd figured) and by the time she'd finished cleaning and watering the dozens of plants Steve insisted they raise, the meatloaf was sliding into the oven to cook.

"Fifty minutes until the meatloaf is done and about forty five minutes before Stark shows up," Steve told her, stepping around the counter so he could wrap his arm around her again. He pressed a warm kiss to her lips then asked, "What do you suppose we do to kill the time?"

The way his lips moved from her mouth to her neck gave her a pretty good idea about what he wanted to do and Natasha was never one to deny her husband.

"I imagine you have something in mind," she murmured, leaning against him as he continued pressing kisses down her neck. He'd done it for years, but something about the way he kissed her or held her still made her knees wobble and her stomach flip.

"I might," Steve said, kissing his way back up her neck then pressing his lips firmly to hers. He kissed her breathless and just when Natasha was about to pull away for air, he pulled back and smirked. "You wouldn't happen to be free for the next thirty minutes, would you?"

With a grin, Natasha pulled his lips back down to hers and made sure he spent the next thirty minutes wisely.

* * *

Natasha was the one who answered the door when the Starks first arrived. Steve was getting ready to pull the meatloaf out of the oven and Natasha didn't really trust him to keep his hands to himself at the moment, so she'd slipped away to open the door and smile at Pepper and Tony.

"What's this? Rogers is in the kitchen and you two own plant children?" Tony asked the second he stepped into the house. Natasha rolled her eyes and stepped aside so Pepper could walk inside as well.