Powerless

Three days had passed since that night when Lucas was almost at the brink of death. Even he couldn't believe that a deadly curse was cast on him. If it wasn't for Prince Asher saving him, Lucas should have already met his bitter end. He didn't know how he could thank him. If only there was a way to repay the pri— actually, there was.

The prince needed to get his water dragon spirit back.

That was the sole reason why Prince Asher gambled everything just to get to Aspor. Despite everyone chasing after him, he still continued his journey with the hope to find help. But the prince only faced disappointment, and that very thought was so painful for Lucas to even think about.

He wanted to help him. He wished he could go after them. He really did. Even if Altair made it certain that the castle was heavily guarded, especially him, so the past event would not happen again, he still wanted to find a way. But how?

Something had changed in him.

His 'power of mind'... it was all gone. He was now an ordinary boy who couldn't even fight that well. How could he help Prince Asher, if he was already too weak? He might end up a burden to him if ever, instead.

"You are still thinking about it?" asked Lady Astrid, who was tending him for the past few days, as if she could tell what was bothering Lucas. She assisted him to sit on the bed, placing a pillow behind, then grabbed the porridge at his bedside table to feed him.

But Lucas just looked down, avoiding her eyes. Even if he didn't say a word, anyone could see how devastated he was by losing his power. No matter how many times he said to himself, that he was still fortunate for being alive, he just couldn't refrain from feeling down, as if a huge part of him had gone. That must be how Prince Asher felt when his water dragon spirit was taken away from him.

The only good thing that he may consider happened was that he had now peaceful nights. No more disturbing dreams about the dragon spirits. However, he felt guilty for failing to help, especially to the person who saved him. Prince Asher was trying to fight by himself. And there he was, sulking in the four corners of his chamber.

Lucas must pulled himself together.

At least with him, he had everyone. Altair, Steve, Fina, Frekyt, even Lady Astrid, Jack and Jane. While for Prince Asher, he only had Krithana by his side, not even loved by his own people for his weaknesses. Lucas then thought that if only the people of Halcyon could see how great the prince was, they would think otherwise. Prince Asher had the purest of heart Lucas had ever known, a trait a great king could ever possess.

Lady Astrid smiled at Lucas, aiming to give comfort, then patted his head with her other hand. "I think you should see the brighter side," she said in a soft voice and with a finesse, which was expected of someone raised as a noble like her. But, unlike other nobles, Lady Astrid had a soft and humble heart too, and she cared for Lucas. Altair was so lucky to have her when she accepted his love after years of courting. "Sometimes," continued Lady Astrid, "We need to lose something valuable to us in order to gain something better. I still believe you are great... smart and strong-willed. If you only know how proud Altair is, towards you."

Lucas just looked at her, thinking about her last statement. He didn't answer back though, and remained quiet. He didn't know that. All he thought was Altair saw him as a big disappointment, not the other way around.

Lady Astrid even told him that maybe it was time for him to learn not to rely so much on his powers. With that, he could enhance his skills in handling weapons even more. And if the moment came his power returned to him, which she strongly believed that it would eventually, Lucas would be far stronger and more powerful than before.