Chapter 21: Send Off

After McGonagall left, Katherine finally sat down to write a note to Hermione.

Hermione,

Thank you for the list. I popped over to Flourish and Blotts this afternoon and found The Tales of Beedle the Bard and Great Wizarding Events of the Twentieth Century. I looked for A History of Magic, but they were out of stock. Next time, I'll grab that one and the one about fantastic beasts.

I had lunch with Ron and George today. Ron really seems to have come around—even taught me a thing or two about the potions in the store.

Hope to see you soon,

K. Waine

Katherine rolled the paper and tied it to Corliss's leg then opened the window. "Can you find Hermione?" she asked. The bird looked offended, but simply took to the sky to prove herself ready for the task.

She wandered down to George's office, finding his head bent over a package of lights like what she had seen in Roxanne's room. He looked up when she walked in, grinning ear to ear.

"Roxy already shot down 'Sparkle Spinners,' but what do you think about 'Bumbling Bulbs?'"

"It makes them sound like they'll either crash into one another or sting you," Katherine answered, plopping into the armchair.

"Hmm," George said, setting the box aside. "Do you have any plans for tonight? Charlie is getting ready to go back to Romania and Mum is making dinner to send him off. I promised her I'd ask, but I told her I wouldn't make you go."

"No, I'd like that," she said, feeling the magic push against her empty stomach.

"Okay. Angelina is working late, so she won't be there until after dinner. I'm sure Ron will come with us, though. Will you go tell him we're about ready to go?"

Katherine stood, walking out the door and down the stairs to where Ron stood at the front desk.

"Are you going to dinner at your parent's tonight?" Katherine asked, leaning her elbows against the counter next to him.

"Yep," he said. "Are you and George ready?" Katherine nodded.

"Verity," Ron called out, looking for the blonde associate. "We're headed out, you good to close up tonight?"

"Can do," the woman called out, stacking boxes of candy.

"I'm tried to get her to call me Mr. Weasley like she does George," Ron said to Katherine, closing up the register, "but she just said 'I've worked here longer, maybe you should call me Miss.' So, I gave up on it."

Katherine laughed. "Mr. Weasley, Uncle Ronnie—you're real particular about what people call you, aren't you?"

"You try growing up the best friend of 'The Chosen One' and 'the brightest witch of her age,'" he said. "You'd look to get a little respect where you could, too."

Katherine just rolled her eyes and walked up the stairs. "Somebody is going to have to explain 'The Chosen One' to me first."

"Don't tell that to Ginny or Mum," he said. "They both love to brag about Harry, as if Hermione and I weren't right there basically the whole time."

The three apparated to the Burrow, Katherine felt the coziness of the home in her bones. She walked in to the now expected smell of something delicious cooking. Even watching knitting needles moving on their own accord didn't surprise her anymore.

"There she is," Molly cried out, wrapping her in a big hug. "I hear we have another witch in the family?"

"I guess so," Katherine said, happily shrugging her shoulders. She saw Hermione sitting at the table with a big mug of tea and a pile of books.