Introduction

Introduction

When anyone has been in the convent and then left, people generally display a lot of curiosity about what goes on 'behind closed doors'.  Having been in and out of three different communities - perhaps I should have titled this 'Slow Learner' - I have a lot of colorful war stories.  Perhaps you'll find them interesting. 

When I left religious life at the age of 42, I had spent fifteen years living convent life.  It was not my choice to leave.  My first draft of this memoir, several years ago, was pretty mean-spirited.  I spent a few years feeling really angry about what I saw as a terrible betrayal.  In redrafting and rewriting this to be kinder and more objective, I think I must have begun a process of self-discovery, wherein I saw how my own personality and defects led to my failure in religious life.

Those who have read the book have two criticisms:  one, that it sounds a bit gloomy in parts.  To be honest, some of the events were traumatic.  I have a great sense of humor that has gotten me through a lot; as the song goes, "It wasn't funny then, but I can laugh at it now".  But I can't write a hilariously funny account of my own death.  Sorry to disappoint you.  If you read Words Without Songs, also here on Wattpad, you can read my actual journal entries as I went through that process.  It's a more poetic and spiritual, and much shorter, account of my final exit from religious life. I am surprised at how whimsically I was able to write about most of it.

The other criticism is that I haven't made the structure of religious life (candidacy, postulancy, novitiate, vows, etc.) clear enough for the layman.  To address that, I have added a glossary.  I hope it helps.

As for the nom de plume:  Schwester is the German word for Sister.  And as the Foundress of my first community once said, "We are all Mary."

I continue to live a simple and celibate life.  Not that I had a lot of other choices, but it would be my choice, all the same.

~Mary Schwester