Glossary

Sister, nuns:  Catholics and non-Catholics alike tend to use these words interchangeably.  Canonically (i.e., according to Church law) they are two different things.  It's a very interesting topic - to me, at least.  Maybe not so much to you.  Suffice it to say that 'nuns' live in monasteries and cloisters.  The kindly women you see out running schools and soup kitchens, in their jeans and sneakers or skirts and sensible shoes, are sisters.

Stages of religious life, or 'formation':  These are set up according to canon law, though with some flexibility as to time frames.  Generally, women are candidates, then postulants, then novices, and then take the religious vows of poverty, chastity and obedience (plus stability, for monastics and cloistered nuns), first for a stated period of time (temporary or 'junior' vows) and then forever (perpetual or final vows).  The novitiate is a notably difficult rite of passage into religious life.  It is in the novitiate that one begins to be called a 'sister'', but with no canonical rights.  A sister in vows is a 'professed' sister (temporary, or junior, professed; perpetual professed).  They have protections and  rights under canon law.

Directors and mistresses:  Each stage of religious formation has someone in charge.  Again, this is set by canon (church) law.  Back in olden days, these were 'masters' (in men's communities) and 'mistresses', for example, "Postulant mistress" or "Mistress of postulants".  Only the most conservative communities still use this nomenclature.  You're more likely to hear "director" today.

Hierarchy:  Again, set by canon law.  A community or order has a 'major superior' and if the community is large enough to be scattered around the continent or the world, it may be divided into regions or provinces with regional or provincial superiors.  Then, each house or convent will have a local superior.  The trend in more progressive communities is away from using the term 'superior' and toward using terms like 'leadership', 'president', etc.