¥--Nineteen--€

Okuyasu rolled over on his side and gently buried his face in the bed's fluffy pillow. Sitting almost regally beside him, was Koichi, quietly peeling an apple with a small pocket knife, Yukako massaging his shoulders from behind, assuring him of sweet things and how much she loved him. A nasal cannula tickled his nostrils, as air was generously flowing through his lungs.

"Are you feeling any better?" Koichi quietly asked, slicing a piece of apple slowly and delicately. Handing the apple to Okuyasu, he slowly laid up on his back, and took the apple slice, mouthing Koichi a quiet thank you. 

"I don't know, to be honest," Okuyasu sighed, staring down at the IV stuck in his arm, eyeing the clear liquid speeding through the tube and into his body. Koichi took a tiny bite of the apple, and proceeded to hand it to Yukako. "The doctors say you're gonna be fine. They're gonna take some  CT scans and urine tests or something like that," Koichi assured, munching quickly on the chunk of apple in his mouth. Okuyasu followed suite and plopped the slice in his mouth, thankful for the savory and sweet taste of juice running down his throat. 

"It's not that..." Okuyasu whispered. "It's Josuke I'm worried about. I haven't heard how he's doing since the ambulance ride." 

Koichi and Yukako made eye contact, as if they were sharing a telepathic connection. Okuyasu furrowed his brow in confusion, and turned his gaze to the window. The sun's clear rays of warmth made Okuyasu shiver against the cool, air-conditioned room, wishing he could feel its heat. Clouds were still and birds seemed silent. Even the view felt depressing and quiet, just like Okuyasu.

Promptly in the midst of his groggy state, Okuyasu heard a familiar scream. It was agonizing, as Okuyasu dug his face into the pillow. 

"Where is he?!" the familiar voice wailed. It sounded like the person was right outside his room, in the hallway. Koichi jumped up from his seat, grabbing Yukako's hand timidly. "What happened to my baby boy?! Where's my son?!"

It was Ms.Higashikata...presumably here for Josuke. 

"Ma'am, I need you to stay calm for us. It's troubling news". Okuyasu slowly lifted his head and stared at the door, waiting for this supposed "troubling news". "Your son is in urgent care, he's getting attention in the operating wing. I assure you he's in good hands".

Heartbreak was the only way to describe what he felt when Ms.Higashikata cried out, and whimpered helplessly. A mother in pain, a mother in distress and in denial. He couldn't imagine what ran through her mind. But he knew what repetitively ran through his.

This is all my fault...this is all my fault...this is all my fault...this is all my fault.

Okuyasu sat up, vertigo fresh in his head. He rested his head on his knees and curled up into a ball. Tomoko could only continue to scream for her son, for Josuke and his life at risk. Her baby boy, her flesh and blood, her hope and reason to be a good mother.

This is all my fault...this is all my fault...this is all my fault...this is all my fault.

"Ms.Higashikata...I assure you that everything is going to be alright. We have the best doctors operating on him right now". That couldn't stop her crying. It was haunting, for each cry made Okuyasu shake relentlessly. A mother's bond was something beautiful, and with how foolish he was...he could have seriously killed Josuke. He prayed to God that the operation would work, so maybe one day, he could properly apologize for the pain and sorrow he put the Higashikatas through. He felt Koichi rubbing his back in an attempt to calm him down. But Okuyasu could only shake underneath his touch. He couldn't be touched at a moment like this. He could only think of Josuke's touch, and how gentle he was. Those hands, he hoped, would move again, to hug his mother, and to hold him as he cried for Josuke's recovery.