The Birthday Boys

This story takes place about 23 years after the epilogue for my story "The Devil's Battle."  It is recommended that you read that one first.

Zane and Decker Morningstar were celebrating their 25th birthday at their parents' home.  They were surrounded by family with their mother, Chloe, and father, Lucifer, heading the festivities, although really it was just his dad who was making all the arrangements and making sure everything was perfect.  Their little sister Zia was home from college and big sister Trixie was there with her husband and little girl.  

It had been a wild ride to this point with being half angels.  Their father was the devil and their grandfather was God.  They had always known, of course, but adjusting to life as typical humans had been difficult.  Thankfully their cousins Charlie and Hannah and their little sister were there, too, so at least they had people talk to.  All of them were half celestials and had developed angelic traits throughout their time growing up.  Zane and Decker took after their father and could emit light and bring out people's desires.  Zia could erase fear in people, which was contrary to their Uncle Michael's powers that he abused.  Zia helped people.  Charlie was a fighter like his father but also a doctor having skipped college to go straight to medical school and people were drawn to Hannah because she comforted people with her words.  She was like her mother with some angel thrown in.  Hannah had followed in her mother's footsteps and would soon practice with her as a psychiatrist.  

Zane looked over at his father who was holding his mother's hand.  His father had decided long ago to self actualize the aging process to appear human with their mother.  His hair and beard had a little gray in it but always maintained a sharp appearance and dressed in slacks and a dress shirt.  As his dad said, "I am a dashing devil, always."  Their love for one another was strong and he knew his father would lay down his life for his mother.  And his mother was beautiful and his father told her daily.  She was the family's rock and all of her children adored her.  Their love was something special and Zane knew his father would be lost without his "Detective."  At his mother's request, their dad had taken all of them up to meet her father at various times throughout their lives until their wings came in.  Now they could go by themselves. That made their mother really happy to know he could see his grandchildren in person but sad that he wasn't able to meet Trixie but all of them told their grandfather all about her and he sent messages to her.  

"Daddy, would you help me with something?" Zane heard Zia ask and his dad immediately went over to assist.  Zia was a daddy's girl and their dad catered to her probably because she was identical to their mother but with his brown eyes.  She was studying to be an attorney and Zane knew the way she used to argue with them meant that she was going to be a star.  

Zane looked back at the friend who was with Zia.  He was an awkward guy but Zia said he was just shy.  She seemed to always attract those who needed something and she would help them.  There were animals and homeless people and kids when they were growing up.  The list was endless and their parents had helped Zia help all of them.  Aeron seemed to be another one of these people who needed help, although at least he had a job as a law clerk with the firm where Zia was interning.  He was about 5'9 and lanky with black hair and really dark eyes.  Those eyes almost looked dead to Zane, though.  He had asked Zia if she was dating him and she laughed and said no.  He was just her friend and she actually said there was something there that was a little off but she couldn't figure it out.  She said he had been a good friend to her and he didn't have any family so she was going to include him in their family when she had the chance.

"Hey, what about me, Dad?" he heard Decker ask as he was carrying a big box in for his mother. "Always helping the weak link over your awesome son."