| Chapter 1 |

Zoe's POV

"Do you ever feel like you don't belong somewhere? You live in an enormous mansion, have a loving mom, filthy rich stepfather, and a stepsister who doesn't give a - excuse my language - shit about what you do. You go to one of the most prestigious high schools, own designer clothes, have an insanely handsome boyfriend, and going to become a famous model someday - because your mother has connections - and when you look in the mirror and think, 'who is this gorgeous girl?'...but still you feel something is missing, like...this is not what you should have...or like...you don't belong here."

I finished my ranting and glanced at my friends, who were gawking at me like I was insane.

"Have you guys ever felt that way?" I asked again. We were on a video call and I was the only one speaking so far.

"Um...Are we supposed to say something?" Savannah questioned, tilting her head. She looked puzzled, like whatever I said flew over her head.

I blew a breath out in frustration and looked at Valentina, my other friend.

"You are being ungrateful for what you have, Zoe," Val replied, getting her senses back. "Any girl would kill to be in your position." I rolled my eyes at her.

Of course, but they will also feel what I'm feeling, right?

"Exactly." Sav bobbed her head. "I would totally kill to be in your position."

I don't think they get what I'm trying to say.

"You are overthinking, babe." Val yawned. "Now, if you are done, I need my beauty sleep."

It was six in the morning and I didn't get a wink of sleep last night, because of all these thoughts running through my mind.

"I'm serious guys..." I groaned, giving them my best serious look.

"Look girl, you are going to be sixteen in the next few months, after that you will start working as a model like your mom always wants you to be, and when you will be in those amazing fashion shows, walking on that ramp, wearing those gorgeous designer dresses, you'll feel that you belong there." Val flatly concluded.

It looks like she is done listing to me.

Sav, who was continuously bobbing her head at everything Val said, agreed with her. "Yeah, Val is definitely right."

Ugh! They don't get it. I have to talk to Mom about this.

"Take a chill pill, Zoe, and get some sleep. We have to go shopping tomorrow too, and I need more clothes. Sophomore year is starting in a few weeks!" Val squealed, suddenly looking excited.

You always think about shopping.

I thought to myself, but I didn't say that out loud, or else she would give me lectures for hours about 'why shopping is important for human beings'.

"Ok... I will see you guys tomorrow." I ended our call and plopped on my bed, staring at the ceiling.

I didn't tell my friends the exact reason for having these thoughts, because I was a little anxious about telling them the truth. But last night Aubrey, my stepsister, told me something that left me thinking about all of this.

Aubrey and I never talked before last night, just a brief hello and bye would frequently pass between us because of our parents. Otherwise, she acted like I didn't even exist. She was three years older than me, and this year she was going to college.

Last night she went to a party with her friends to celebrate that, and Austin, my boyfriend, and Aubrey's best friend drove her home because she was drunk, and didn't want my stepfather to know about her. He restricted Aubrey and me from drinking, and if he found out about her being drunk, he would be furious. I helped him and took Aubrey quietly to her room, letting no one else know.