Chapter 3

"No," I all but whispered. "I can't. Please, just send me back. He needs me." Even as words left my mouth, deep inside I knew it wasn't an option. Staring at the small body of water, I watched as my reflection swayed on the surface.

"I am sorry, my child. I understand that the situation is less than agreeable, but a decision like this must be thoroughly considered. While you can no longer attain what you desire most, becoming the Moon Goddess does have a myriad of assets." Artemis paused for a prolonged moment, her eyes holding my own.

"Assets? What do you mean by that?" I hated how every word out of my mouth sounded like that of a small child while she spoke with the utmost elegance.

"As I stated, you may not be able to return to your previous life, but that does not entirely mean you must give up your connection with your mate."

Why did she continue to speak in riddles? How could I keep my connection with Logan, when I was dead? Even though it made no sense I couldn't hold back the flicker of hope building inside me.

"I will be able to see Logan again if I become the Moon Goddess?"

"Well of course, but not as you might hope, and as with all things there must be a balance. With all good, comes bad. That is the reason for us gods, to keep the balance. Though some take the job less seriously than others, such as my brother." The annoyance in her tone was unmistakable and I was pretty sure it was accompanied by an eye roll.

I took a minute to consider what she was saying. I could handle bad if meant still having Logan in my life. I mean what could be worse than dying?

"I'll do it."

"You are sure? Once you accept this title you will not be able to step down until I have complete my quest and restored the order within the hunter domain."

"Yeah...I mean yes I am. I am ready for anything if it means not losing Logan forever," I said more confidently than I felt.

The young girl looked me over before a small smile graced her face.

"Oh of that I am certain, my dear," she spoke as she slowly approached me. "This may feel slightly disagreeable for a moment."

Before I could say anything the stars in the floor began to rapidly swirl around us. They continued faster and faster until without warning I was hit with the warming glowing light. At first, the sensation of peace flowed throughout my body, but quickly the sensation changed to intense fire as though all my nerves were burning at once. Sweat began to bead across my skin and the room felt as though it was spinning. An agonizing scream escaped my mouth as I fell to one knee. Just as I thought I could bear no more it all stopped, leaving my heaving and exhausted.

"My sincerest apologies for the discomfort that may have caused you. Regrettably, it is an inescapable part of the process. But now with all the unpleasantries aside let us begin."

I glanced up from my place on the floor looking to see her standing near the small pool. Her expression one of expectance. Shakily I rose from the ground and walked to her, unsure of what to expect. Artemis waved her hand over the pool and the water began to swirl, and much like the wall of mist images slowly took shape in the surface of the water.

"Long ago when I was only a young goddess," she began. I couldn't help but question how this petite female could be any older than her twelve-year-old form appeared. "My father seeing my aptitude for hunting presented me with the title of goddess of the hunt. At first, I thrived loving the solitude of it. But as decades turned into centuries I found myself desiring companionship. The hunt was no longer thrilling with no one to share in my glory. In my youth, this led me to create a creature both intelligent and cunning, ferocious and graceful. I made what I thought to be the ultimate hunter and companion."

The images that flashed across the water were of Artemis sprinting barefoot through the forest graceful and seemingly weightless. The only sound to be heard was the wind. No footsteps not even a slight hint of her breathing. I looked up at the young goddess next to me to see that she wasn't looking at the images but at the sculpture of the wolf. An almost sad look in her eyes.

"At first the shift only happened on the fullest of moons but as time progressed my creatures evolved as most things do. They would shift with every moon and eventually the turn would happen on command. Zeus learning of my pets and their abilities became enraged. They were evolving quickly. As punishment and in order to keep my creatures in check he gave me domain over the moon. Forcing me to watch over from a distance my wolves and keep limitations on their ever-growing abilities. That when my sister Aphrodite mentioned how love while being a great strength also was one of the greatest of weaknesses. Thus I made mates. To keep order among my wolves I created alphas. But as time went by and my presence was no longer witness. My wolves began to forget about me. I was no longer their moon goddess, and they no longer my companions. I was now  a fable grandparents would tell young wolves and they were my burden."

I sensed Artemis still loved the wolves she called a burden but the hurt she seemed to feel from us forgetting her was evident in her voice. A pang of guilt ran through me as I remembered all the world I was told of the moon goddess and always brushing them aside as myth and lore.

"But now my dear you shall look over your kind. Keep balance so I can hunt as I once did."