𝐈𝐈. 𝐬𝐭𝐮𝐩𝐢𝐝 𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐬

505 - arctic monkeys

"oh, when you look at me like that my darling... what did you expect?"

 what did you expect?"

~

The smell of pumpkin pasties wafted through my nose as I darted down the narrow aisle, passing plenty of open compartments with chattering students inside. The two-inch heel of my mary-janes clacked against the deep brown parquet flooring with intent, carrying me closer and closer to the tiny bathroom tucked at the end of the train. While fervently pushing a stray curl out of my eyes, I found myself barreling towards the snack cart at an intense speed. I immediately pivoted-- my hip bone scarcely dodging the edge of the bronze cart. I turned on my heel and looked at the lady pushing the cart with wide eyes, an apology already on the tip of my tongue.

"I'm so sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going at all!" I said through labored breathing.

The lady I was facing was without a doubt aged, what with the fine lines etched across her features and the slight hunch in her posture. She had indents of laugh lines on her cheeks and eyes, evidence of a happy soul. Her aura eased me slightly, expecting that she wouldn't chew me out.

"Oh, don't fret dear! Here, take a frog. It's on me." She plucked a chocolate frog off the cart and reached for my smooth hands with her frail ones. She then placed the pentagon-shaped box into my palm, closing my fingers around it and giving them a small pat. I drew my eyes away from the frog in my hand and beamed at her, my smile matching her own.

"Thank you so much! You're too kind." I spoke back to her, taken aback by the utter kindness this woman has shown me. If everyone else here is as nice as this lady, then surely the next three years will be smooth sailing.

She only nodded in response before continuing her trek down the long aisle, stopping at an open compartment and announcing herself. "Anything from the trolley, dears?"

I turned back towards my destination with a grin, looking down into my palms as I unboxed the chocolate frog. Just as I removed the lid from the box, I collided with a strong frame that set me aback a couple paces. In response, I dropped the box from my hands, the chocolate frog consequently hopping out of its confinement and darting in the other direction. I huffed and jutted out my lower lip before looking up at the perpetrator. I was met with a pair of harsh, icy eyes looking down on me with disgust. The boy who claimed them was tall and lean, dressed in an all-black suit and topped with a head of platinum-colored hair-- much like my own.

"You made me drop my frog!" I spat out, looking at him with a furrowed brow.

He simply scoffed and rolled his eyes, crossing his arms across his chest.

"Maybe you should've been looking where you were going," He spat back, his tone spiked with hints of irritation and displeasure. "You're in the middle of a hallway, you nonce."